LegacyGT.com

Some thoughts on Legacy Safety

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/50/1/1

This article shows that at least for 2009-2012 models there were only ten cars with 0 death rates- and one of them was the Subaru Legacy.

Vehicle safety is comprised of multiple areas- and probably a true safety rating should factor in:

Crash worthiness in weight class

Driver Assistance/Crash avoidance systems

Headlights

Emergency handling

Braking/stopping distance

Transmission and engine responsiveness. Jerky responses can result in driver miscalculation and unpredictable results

Visibility

Acceleration (adequate for typical driver tasks such as merging onto highways, steep/moderate hills, etc.)

AWD- I believe that under "compromised" surfaces (rain, ice, snow, gravel, etc.)- the Legacy will offer more predictable handling- given suitable tires and good driver technique. And at any given time any surface is compromised.

Interestingly, according to Consumer Reports in all of these areas, the Subaru Legacy excels.*As an aside, I consider CR to be the most objective and thorough reviewer of cars. Granted their overall rating may weight factors such as reliability and safety over performance and styling.

If safety, reliability and fuel economy are key considerations when purchasing a family sedan, I think the Legacy does extremely well in safety, very good in reliability and good in fuel economy- with its extra weight, lower center of gravity and AWD improving the first (safety), with minimal sacrifice to the last (fuel economy).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Standard AWD and EyeSight make the Legacy a winner in its field. It actually looks pretty good as well. Honda and Toyota tried so hard to update their styling that I actually think the new Accord and Camry look a bit weird from some angles.

Standard AWD and EyeSight make the Legacy a winner in its field. It actually looks pretty good as well. Honda and Toyota tried so hard to update their styling that I actually think the new Accord and Camry look a bit weird from some angles.
Funny on the styling...I agree with you. While I can respect the styling fluidity of the Mazda 3 and 6- the Camry and to a lesser degree Accord seem somewhat off. As for the Legacy, I think its styling connotes solidity and a conservative flair. But certainly all of this is highly subjective. Safety is less (subjective).

A friend of mine was involved in a serious accident a few days before Christmas in there Forester. They rolled several times, every airbag engaged. only area that wasn't really vetted for safety was their sunroof. They had 2 dogs that flew out of it during the middle of the roll (Dogs were perfectly fine thank goodness). But I guess thats only a concern if you aren't wearing a seat belt. My friend and her husband came out with only minor bruising. But this incident just further justified my decision to get a forester for my wife and baby, and me the legacy.

This was my friends vehicle

picture.php?albumid=2726&pictureid=12367

Legacy's are safe cars, but for the top safety ratings the car has to be equipped with OEM HID or LED headlights, not halogens.

Don't believe me, go look at the ratings:

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/subaru/legacy-4-door-sedan/2019

Legacy with halogen lights gets a Marginal rating for lighting. They don't test aftermarket HID inserts, of course.

Legacy's are safe cars, but for the top safety ratings the car has to be equipped with OEM HID or LED headlights, not halogens.

Legacy with halogen lights gets a Marginal rating for lighting. They don't test aftermarket HID inserts, of course.

Probably why all the JDM Legacy and Outbacks had factory HID from 2000.

Even my old 2000 Outback H6 banger thats nearly scrap now has OEM HID.

This is true, and if you feel LED steering responsive headlights are critical- you can purchase higher trim levels. Personally, with auto-high beam, I find the headlights on the Premium trim more than adequate.

Archived