LegacyGT.com

How to get out of manual mode with 5EAT

I did not have time to search if this was already mentioned, so forgive me if it was. I somehow came across a way (at least on my car) to switch from manual mode to sport mode without having to move the gear lever all the way to automatic and back. If the gear lever is in the +- gate, gently push it back towards the automatic gate to the right and then let it go back to the +- gate. On my car this takes it back to sport mode and is a little easier (and a shorter shift distance) than putting it in auto and back. You may need to experiment to find the exact point where it shifts out of manual mode, but once you do it is pretty easy to hit it each time. Also, I believe it will not change back to sport mode until after you pass the "magic point" AND let go of the shifter. Anyway, I hope someone else finds this useful.

OR....you could just leave it in "AUTO" mode and simply hit the steering wheel buttons. This will automatically take it into "SPORT" mode without touching the shifter. When you stop changing gears it will (after a few seconds) automatically go back into "AUTO" mode.

[quote name='thatmank']OR....you could just leave it in "AUTO" mode and simply hit the steering wheel buttons. This will automatically take it into "SPORT" mode without touching the shifter. When you stop changing gears it will (after a few seconds) automatically go back into "AUTO" mode.[/quote] This will work if your intention is to have the auto shifter work in "normal" mode. If you want the auto shifter to work in "sport" mode, then decide to use the buttons or stick + or -, the only way to get back to auto shifting "sport" mode is to do as the original poster states by moving the stick right and back enough to trigger the switch.

Interesting find. There must be some position sensor that you're triggering before it goes back to normal Auto mode. I've also wondered if there was a similar mechanism in Sport Auto where you could temporarily go to manual and the system goes back after a few seconds. Ken

Yeah, I think I stumbled on that too. If it works consistently, it would be great. I would really like to have the transmission go back into the "sport" mode after using the steering wheel buttons. Too bad there's not a way to program the default behavior! SPort mode is perfect for most driving, but I like thumbing the buttons for a downshift when going into corners. If the car would revert back to sport mode shortly thereafter, that would be ideal. Craig

Archived