LegacyGT.com

Only fwd after duty c replacement

Hello. I need help. I have a 1997 legacy l with ej22 and 4eat Tranny. When I bought it; it had a case of torque bind with the flashing auto oil light. I replaced the duty c solenoid and clutch packs.

Anyway. It solved the flashing auto oil temp light. And I thought everything was fine bacause the car drove well after. But this past week I got caught up in some snow. And I was slipping all over the road and then eventually got stuck. Gf was driving at 1st, and I was viewing from outside the car. And only the front wheels were spinning. No effort at all from the rear wheels. Also, the front tires have worn significantly. And the rear are perfect. Before I did the job, the car showed all the signs of torque bind. Meaning that it seemed like I was in 50-50 front to rear ratio, meaning that there was power to the rear wheels at one point. Where should I look first? Any help would be appreciated.

I had played with the duty c on mine. But only to the point of putting a switch in line with it to cut the power going to it (to force 50/50 power split on demand).

So I do know if the duty c solenoid get 12v it disengags the rear wheels. If it gets 0v it will lock up the clutch pack and send 50% to the rear and if left that way it will cause the binding you felt.

I'm pretty sure in normal operation it receives pluses from the TCU which how it controls how much power is being sent to the rear wheels.

Easiest would be to see what voltage you have on the wire going to the solenoid. Which is accessible on the TCU. You'll just need a wiring diagram to know which pin.

If it has 12v then that's why you aren't getting power to the rear.

To measure if it's pulsing you might need a scope. Or you might be able to use a 12v led and see if it flashes but I don't know what effect or possible damage that may do to the TCU so that would be at your own risk.

Archived