LegacyGT.com

CVT Failure Rate / Amsoil

So I am concerned that some of my friends with Outbacks have had to replace their CVT transmissions. The good news was that Subaru replaced them under warranty because they were under 100K miles. I have a 2010 Legacy with 92K miles on.

I am about to have Subaru replace the CVT fluid with Amsoil fluid. They recommended that I use Subaru CVT but I have heard good things about Amsoil CVT fluid. They are going to charge me $210 for labor since I am providing the fluid. So my concerns are, is the CVT transmission going to fail soon and is the Amsoil going to void my 100K mile warranty?

My son sold his 2010 Outback at 95K because of the CVT warranty expiring. He was concerned that he would be stuck with a major repair. My friend is selling his 2013 Outback because he just had the CVT replaced by Subaru under warranty. He is going back to Toyota because of the CVT concern.

I guess my question is what percentage of Subaru's have CVT failures and what does it cost to replace out of warranty?

under warranty use their fluid, not what you think it should be.

only CVT failure I have heard of regarding me and my friends were

1. Friend: leak = new trans under warranty had 87K on it

2. Subaru Dealer cracked my front differential at 40K but that was not a failure. New trans is at 17K

cost to replace at Subaru is 8K

edit: another friend has over 200K on her 2013 s, it still runs fine and almost 100K on her 2015, still runs fine

2010 is the year where most of the CVT's failures are from and most of those are actually the torque converter lockup sticking and stalling the engine. Most of the failures aren't catastrophic meaning you can still driving the vehicle after the CVT is having problems, it just becomes annoying.

Looking at the book value of your car, it is ~$7k dealer retail/$4.5K trade. It is not cost effective to replace the CVT in your Legacy, a new replacement would definitely exceed the value of your car.

I have no idea on the failure rates, later ones are pretty low. When I was looking for a used Outback I saw quite a few 2010 with 150-200k miles for sale and I didn't see any advertise on Craigslist needing a CVT.

You already own your car. I assume your trying to make a decision on what your future plans are for it. Some of that depends on what your plan was for replacement. If you plan on keeping it long term, I will probably just risk it. If you were planning on driving to 120K miles you may want to move that up to 100k unless the CVT is replaced under warranty.

While amsoil manufactures and sells top notch products I would need to see data showing it is in fact superior to the fluid already in use, not anecdotal inferences based on blanket marketing claims.

Under warranty, Subaru fluid, especially since the CVT is so finicky anyway about fluid properties.

I am pretty concerned about Scooby Too's 2012 Legacy 2.5 also....we have had it since new and it now has 33,000 Km on it (About 20K miles) ;)

At the rate she drives, I figure it will be out of warranty in about 20 more years.....Yikes....I'll be 92 by then....Hmmmm? May not be an issue :lol::lol:

So I guess the transmission is already out of warranty. I thought it was 100K mile warranty but the offer ended last year. So I have already bought the Amsoil CVT fluid I guess do I return it or use the Subaru fluid as they cost the same amount.

So to be safe I called Amsoil and they said they would let me return the Amsoil CVT fluid with no problem. Then I will go to the Subaru dealership and pay them $350 to do a transmission flush. I am running Amsoil engine oil, and gear lube front and rear.

Archived