LegacyGT.com

Bought a C5Z

5kcXNu3.jpg

Almost a year ago. Tried to get it ready for track days last summer, but after doing some braking/cooling/reliability mods, the clutch started sucking (common problem on C5s). It took me a while to figure out what to do about that, and I didn't get it sorted until after the season ended.

Mods so far:

• RPS BC2 clutch
  • Katech clutch slave bleeder
  • Radiator with oil cooler
  • Delrin suspension bushings
  • Front brake ducting
  • Camber kit
  • Track alignment
  • Stoptech BBK front and rear
  • Long-tube headers (on the car when I bought it)
  • Silly loud Borla "mufflers" (on the car when I bought it)
  • Four 18x10.5 wheels with 295/30 AD08R tires (not pictured)

Unfortunately the local tracks hibernate for the winter, but when the weather gets better this should be a boatload of fun.

According to the dynosheet the seller gave me, it put down 371whp, which is just 6 horses short of my station wagon's last dyno run. :) The wagon should be right around 400 next time, so obviously the Corvette needs some work.

I was surprised to find that there is nothing like EcuFlash for Corvettes or other GM vehicles of that era, but I did get in touch with some folks who had tried and almost succeeded, so we started over... And I think we've pulled it off. I've flashed my car three times so far, and only had to pull out the ECU once to fix it. :)

http://pcmhammer.org

Great looking C5Z in a gorgeous color! Looks like you're off to a great start with it mod-wise. I've wanted a C5Z or FRC for a long time.

HPTuners unfortunately dominates the market with GM cars. They're the Cobb of the RWD world with subscriptions and per car charges.

Super excited to see the supercharger install!

So was I, at first... but I kept on reading about how hard it is to do track days with those and stay reliable. (Overheating, slipping belts, or even throwing belts...) So I dunno. I'm leaning toward a big naturally aspirated setup instead, apparently 454s are good for 600whp or something like that. But it's at least a couple years away, so I have lots of time to make up my mind.

KRB, I was dreaming of a black fastback, but then this came up for $18k with 39k miles... I saw it and I drove and I didn't want to go home without it.

The seller was a great guy, too. While it was at a shop for a pre-purchase inspection my wife and I went to his place and he showed us pictures of every car he's owned. It took over an hour and now my wife wants a Pantera.

He's halfway through restoration of a 1930s Packard, and since I bought this one he only has two Corvettes left. :eek:

Would that make him a Packard rat? Sorry, had to.

I too like the FRC's. Great color. I think the charger dependability is debatable. There are guys beating the daylights out of charger equipped cars and having boatloads of fun doing so. That said, the car is only as fast as you can drive it. If you grow with the car I think your goal of running faster is more obtainable but that also depends on your experience. Good luck with it and have fun.

That kinda feels like an implied obligation. :)

I might not have anything interesting to say until spring. We'll see.

No worries. Just seemed like something fun to read about once in awhile.. I'm not ready to buy a 2-seater yet - I could only drive it like once a week.. Maybe in 10-12 years, if the kids actually move out :lol:

So was I, at first... but I kept on reading about how hard it is to do track days with those and stay reliable. (Overheating, slipping belts, or even throwing belts...) So I dunno. I'm leaning toward a big naturally aspirated setup instead, apparently 454s are good for 600whp or something like that. But it's at least a couple years away, so I have lots of time to make up my mind.

KRB, I was dreaming of a black fastback, but then this came up for $18k with 39k miles... I saw it and I drove and I didn't want to go home without it.

The seller was a great guy, too. While it was at a shop for a pre-purchase inspection my wife and I went to his place and he showed us pictures of every car he's owned. It took over an hour and now my wife wants a Pantera.

He's halfway through restoration of a 1930s Packard, and since I bought this one he only has two Corvettes left. :eek:

427 small blocks are good for 600whp. Plenty of guys making 600whp with a new top(heads, cam, valve train, intake etc) end on the ls7. There are guys doing it with 383s as well but those are pretty extreme setups and not too much fun while just cruising.

• 1 month later...
Thanks!

I just stumbled across this thread but here goes.

First off nice car you bought that one right

The C5 with a fixed top like your Z06 has is called a hardtop by GM.

Join the http://www.corvetteforum.com they cover pretty much anything Corvette a wealth of knowledge there.

I've owned five Corvettes over time

1969 427/390 4 spd. convertible with two tops, headers, 4:11 gears

1986 Z51 4+3 coupe no horse power crappy trans but GM at least tried

1989 6 spd. coupe with SLP headers, cam, intake, chip (yes I said "chip" as they didn't have tunable computers back then), etc.

2003 Z06 Stay stock, stay happy. ;)

2008 Coupe LS3 auto (got tired of shifting) Motor City Mold vacuum molded carbon fiber high-rise extraction hood, Kooks SS long tube headers Jet Hot coated with high flow cats and X-pipe, Halltech BeeHive cold air package, Vette-Air scoop, MSD wires, GM Z51 rotors, sway bars, poly bushings, F1 paddle shift controls, Vitesse Motorsports throttle control (it works), pro-tuned 390 whp, etc. etc. stock auto's are appox. 350 rwhp stock.

I miss my Z06 it was the most solid Corvette I have owed it was made to race just needed more power.

Good luck keep us updated.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived