LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Oil Pressure Sender

Anyone have an aftermarket oil pressure sender setup?

I'm trying to figure out what to get, I just need a sensor, an adapter to fit it into the block and then some kind of electrical cable? I'm not planning on using a gauge, I want to wire it up electronically using one of my spare tgv connectors.

I see two brands prosport, which apparently everyone hates, and Defi. If you have any info on either, or know exactly which model I should get or anything helpful, feel free to chime in! Everyone's 2 cents are welcome :lol: !

I use a Defi Advance oil pressure gauge in mine. I'm very happy with it. The only brands I would really trust are Defi and AEM. Prosport is known to fail and when it's something as critical as oil pressure, you don't want to go cheap.

which adapter did u use to get it to fit in the block or does it already have the proper threading? do you have a model number for the oil sensor part? did it come with an electrical cable? I am not going to use a gauge so I only need the sender with a pigtail or something, I'm going the digital route, going to use my spare tgv to receive the signal then turn it into a gauge using some kind of app like btssm. Edited by Tehnation

The Defi senders already have the proper 1/8" BSPT threading necessary to bolt into the stock sender location, so no adapters necessary. Any other aftermarket brand will require an adapter. Defi has the part numbers listed on their site.

I actually use a cheap one from amazon that uses the same calibration as an aem sender. It reads the same as my defi gauge/sender did. The key I've found to making a sender last is to use a pressure snubber to keep the pressure spikes from damaging the sender.

Snubber link:

https://www.omega.com/pptst/PS_SNUBBERS.html

Sender link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RCPDUTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_uaAbCbA8939FT

Using just one of the common senders that are made in Taiwan. Wouldn't expect them to last that long, the oil seal inside doesn't really last that long and eventually fails and floods the inside of the sender. The heat in the engine bay is really not that great for the life of the sender.

Using just one of the common senders that are made in Taiwan. Wouldn't expect them to last that long, the oil seal inside doesn't really last that long and eventually fails and floods the inside of the sender. The heat in the engine bay is really not that great for the life of the sender.

That's the first I have heard about the oil seal issue. I only knew of the pressure spikes killing the senders. I've had this installed for over 1 year and about 20k miles. If it fails, I'll probably buy another one at less than $20.

Edited by rhino6303

I ordered those 2 parts, for 45 bucks it's worth a shot, especially when I am trying to do some macgyver type setup with a phone app.... might be a pipe dream , but at least its not costing me much to see if it's even possible.

I have a Prosport set-up in the MR2 Turbo but really don't need anything in the Subaru.

The issue with the turbo is the sender is located near the 3inch downpipe because that is where the oil filter and sandwich adapter is located. It gets VERY hot and the sender lasts a few years.

The sender is very cheap but not easy to change out due to access being very tight.

The gauges themselves are reliable but the senders are pretty cheap. If it crpaps out I just buy another one. I suspect its now hard to buy a decent quality sender, they will all be made in Taiwan and China.

how the hell did u guys get that plug out???? its not budging...... i'm using a 8mm hex socket.... looks like it'll strip before turning..... ah wtf.....
Put some valve grinding compound on the hex and then use a big breaker bar. It will break free.

anyone know what size those threads are for the back oil port?

The rear gallery plug is an M18x1.5 plug. If you wish to use it, you must replace it with an OEM (or aftermarket) adapter plug. The OEM adapter plug, such as what comes installed in the front oil gallery, adapts to 1/8 BSPT. Aftermarket plugs adapt to 1/8 NPT.

are u sure about that part number for the snubber... I just got it and its way to small to fit... I'm going to need an adapter...
Sorry. I thought you already had the oem oil galley adapter. I just bought the same one as the front where the oil dummy light is connected.