LegacyGT.com

Swap Head Units (2018 into a 2016)

I've got a 2017 Premium and overall I am satisfied with the deck (except that you can't reboot it without turning off the car). After renting a few Subarus this year that had Android Auto, I was thinking about doing a deck swap from my stock 2016 deck to a 2018 deck.

I was wondering if anyone had done this before or if anyone had access to a pin out diagram to know if there were interchangeable?

Edit: Forgot my model year, it is actually a 2017, not 2016.

I know this doesn't directly answer the question you asked, but the 2015-2017 and 2018-2019 head units are totally different designs from two different manufacturers.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I know this doesn't directly answer the question you asked, but the 2015-2017 and 2018-2019 head units are totally different designs from two different manufacturers.

Yeah, I know they were built by different companies, but they appear to be the same shape and size.

I think he was trying to hint at- you'd better check the Wiring.

Yeah, that is why I started a thread asking if anyone had done it before or if anyone knew where to find the wiring diagrams.

I haven't been able to find the Legacy diagrams, but was looking at the Impreza's and it looks like a couple of connectors are different, but they could be adapted (I think it is because the newer models have two USBs instead of one). I haven't gone through pin by pin yet because I was hoping to find the actual Legacy books.

I've got a 2017 Premium and overall I am satisfied with the deck (except that you can't reboot it without turning off the car).

I know not the main point of your post, but you can reboot the head unit without shutting off the car, albeit a little roundabout. You can go to the service menu by pressing and holding the home button while quickly pressing the audio/tune knob 5 times. Once it brings up this menu, hold down the Home button for a few seconds and the unit will restart.

Archived