LegacyGT.com

All season vs all weather vs snow tire

Winter (ice/snow) tires are illegal in some states so check with your state law.

This is not true, there are a few states where studded tires are not allowed but CT isn't one of them. you can still get seriously improved performance out of a snow tire. being in VT i wouldn't try to make it through the winter on all seasons. if the size is right the suv tire will work fine but it won't provide you any extra performance and will cost a pretty penny extra. I've ran the michelin ix3's for the last 5 years and they have been incredible, relatively quiet great ice performance, decent deep snow performance and they are slightly more efficient than the average tire.

what size rims are you on? i like to go a little narrower with a taller aspect ratio than my stockers both because they are cheaper and perform better in deep snow

Need new tires for my 2012 legacy, currently running Goodyear eagle GT M+S rated tires. I am in Connecticut and the winters can get pretty bad here.

found the Michelin Defender LTX M+S but its listed as a small suv tire..... not sure if anyone has run this on a legacy. If the size is correct would there be any problem running them ?

I was also looking at the Michelin Premier Touring All season get good ratings and

General Tire Altimax RT43 are also rated very well also but neither have the M+S rating

Any one recommend a good winter performer that's not a dedicated snow tire?

I also am located in Connecticut and I would HIGHLY Recommend running a set of dedicated Snow Tires. As far as the mentioned Prohibition on Studded Snow tires, I believe CT does Ban their use between the months of May and October, due to the damage the Studs can do to the road surface in warmer months.

I myself have a set of All Season tires mounted on the factory Alloy Rims that came on the car, and run a good set of Continental ExtremeWinterContacts mounted on Steel rims over the winter months. I would highly recommend that if you go this route, that you have some sort of protection for the center hub/axle nut area in order to keep the salt and grime out of that area.

Where about in CT are you located? I live in Meriden and commute daily to New London for work.

I live in southern NY in Westchester County and have a '13 3.6. I have been running BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S on stock wheels for the three years I have owned the car. I have been through three winters and have not had any problems in the snow as far as getting stuck or sliding around. My commute is 17 miles each way on mostly main roads so I am never in a sticky situation anyway. The roads here are plowed immediately during a snow storm.

Like mentioned above, everyone's situation has different needs. If I lived upstate NY in the Catskills or other hilly area, I would definitely go with a dedicated winter tire set up.

But just to put my situation into perspective, before the Legacy, I owned a 2000 Impala I bought new. I had Bridgestone Potenza tires on it. I drove that car for 15 years back and forth to work through every type of weather and never had problems with that car either.

I'm in Shelton and commute to orange daily, only one medium hill and the Sikorsky bridge. I also work for a utility and need to get to work even when the weather is bad, also take a few trips up north to go snowboarding a few times a season

I actually just yesterday installed the michelin premier as and so far I like them

I also have a 2016 outback and it's on it's last season on the stick Bridgestone. I'm debating running something like the Yokohama g015 at year round, something like the nokian get, or a dedicated snow and summer tire setup

Archived