LegacyGT.com

benefits of low profile tires?

bolbo

If someone could educate me, I'd like to know the benefits and drawbacks of low profile tires as opposed to non low profile tires. You could start with the GT tires as a base. And I don't mean the bashing of the specific tire on the Gt, but rather how the GT, for example, would handle etc. if it didn't have low profiles. I don't even know if it could 'accept' regular tires..so that's what I know. I did hear in another thread that low profiles can't handle potholes well. I would like to know about longevity in low profile, succectibility to flats, etc. Finally, if someone could explain the dimensions and exactly what they refer to (225/45 whatever). And, what if I, say, wanted wider tires in the rear (not that I do). Just like I see wider tires in many sports cars...could the GT handle wider tires (slightly wider...like some bmw, mercedes moels)? Thanks in advance

The benifits of a lower profile tire are less sidewall roll when taking corners. which will result in sharper turn in and better handling. The negatives are ride quality usually goes down as their is less ruber to absorb problem areas in the roads, ie potholes. What this may do is bend a rim if you hit a big enough pot hole. The way you get a lower profile tire is by getting a larger wheel. Our 17" wheels use a 215/45/17 tire, which means, 215 wide, 45 side wall, and for a 17" wheel. If you wanted a lower profile tire you would get a 18" wheel, and a tire size most likely around 225/40/17. I am not sure what the widest wheel you can put on the legacy without rubbing issues would be, probably 8", with a 235 or 245 wide wheel. But the most common size if wanting a lower profile tire would be 225/40/17. Remember you allways want the overall diameter of the new tire and wheel to be the same as stock or your speedo and odometer will be off. I know on the WRX it was 25" overall, I think its the same on the legacy. You should aim to get a wheel tire combo within 2% of that. Also check [url]www.tirerack.com[/url] they have a lot better explinations of all this.

If you want a GT, you will not be able to get smaller wheels. The brakes are pf such a size that it requires the larger 17" wheels. I wouldn't really try for larger than 225 width tires as you really don't need it (wouldn't recommend it on stock wheels if you want to improve handling.) Stickier stock size tires perform huge amounts better over stock. If you do change the size, like Kanos recommended, try to stick close to stock diameter.

225/40/18 The middle number in the tire size is the sidewall height and is a percentage of the tire width so the tire above has a sidewall that is 40% of 225 mm which is 90 mm.

One thing I've noticed with my LGT coming from a Forester with 16" 60-series rubber is that the LGT seems to be a lot more susceptible to following the crown on the roads. I don't know if it's due to the tires/wheels or steering ratio but I do seem to notice it a lot more than before. Ken

The steering rack is more sport oriented and quicker than in most other models. That may be some of the vehicles tenency to follow the details of the road. Mine does some of the same, therefore it isn't RE92's or any specific tire. If EVOs and STi's do the same, you can somewhat figure it's the steering rack. I remember from a TopGear clip they mentioned the P1's quicker rack and it being as sporty and quick as it was therefore you have to constantly drive the car. Can't be lazy like in some other vehicles.

Mine does the same too. I have Potenza RE050A on a GT2.0 (Oz) and run on low tire pressures to get around some of these issues - pressures are about 30. What pressures do you use? I also hear that Potenza's have a bad tendancy for tramlining. Haven't noticed this much though. When it comes to replacements, I'll be looking for tires that have better directional control - if they exist. [quote name='SUBE555']The steering rack is more sport oriented and quicker than in most other models. That may be some of the vehicles tenency to follow the details of the road. Mine does some of the same, therefore it isn't RE92's or any specific tire. If EVOs and STi's do the same, you can somewhat figure it's the steering rack. I remember from a TopGear clip they mentioned the P1's quicker rack and it being as sporty and quick as it was therefore you have to constantly drive the car. Can't be lazy like in some other vehicles.[/quote]

I run about 38F, 36R IIRC. Helps keep a little balance in the tires. Higher front pressure will incur a little more understeer while increasing handling stability (less play.) An even balance, or higher rear pressures will make the car more unstable while the car will feel much easier to turn. I am running those pressures on Toyo Proxes 4's, but each car is a little different.

Archived