LegacyGT.com

High pressure fuel line retainer clip failure

Hello everyone,

I havent made an introductory post yet, so I will give you a brief run down. I just bought my 2005 LGT LW about 6 weeks ago. It has 165k on the clock and <4k on the engine.

I have never experienced this kind of failure before, so Im hoping this isnt a bad omen :lol:

My pregnant wife and I were heading home from downtown Vancouver and the car lost all power heading east on Hwy14. The engine would restart, but struggle to stay running and die in gear. I inspected the intake as I fixed 4 boost leaks after I bought the car, expecting to find a leak post MAF. Not the case. So I just bit it and called a tow truck. In 18 years of driving the only car to ever leave me stranded...a turbo subaru! I can say that I wasnt surpised HA.

I get it home and started in on troubleshooting. I heard a spraying noise when I would cycle to the run position and had a lovely stream of premium fuel pouring out of the chassis on the passenger side rear door area. So I pulled the rear seat, removed the still factory sealed fuel pump cover and found pic attached.

Anyways, I want to replace that clip. Even if it never blows off again something has to be changed for my own piece of mind. I have found a couple different dorman part numbers for what looks like the same clip. I also tried a Suba parts catalog with no success. Can anyone clue me into the right part number or where I may find it?

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-802-Connectr-Clip/dp/B000CIV4S2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00066UKGM

Resized_20181031_212920.thumb.jpg.1c7e1c2b063d2c844382a1f0403b5ef0.jpg

That's a serious fire hazard!

I can imagine that cheaping out on stuff like that in manufacturing may account for a number of car fires in recent years, but since all the items have burned it's not easy for the forensics to determine what was the real cause. (not specifically Subaru, but for many brands out there)

I would at least inform the NTSB of this discovery even though they may choose to ignore it it could at least be a piece in the puzzle for someone.

It could even be an assembly error at manufacturing and that it was never mounted correctly or a manufacturing defect but has been in place on pure friction over the years. It's impossible to tell.

Also look for the complete hose and not just the clip - it may be that the fault isn't with the clip but with the hose part that the clip shall grab on to. At worst you need to drop the tank to get it installed.

453747.png

Which line is it? Remember the car is 13 years old and stuff fails after a while. From what I can see, it probably was never put on all the way. The clips rarely fail and are a simple snap lock. Use a quick connect removal tool, pull the line off, remove the clip, go to the auto parts store, and they can match up one for you. Put the clip back in and snap it on. Fixed.

It seems a little overkill to file a NTSB report, as I agree with JmP, but I did anyways as someone else might find it useful in some way.

I understand petroleum products can dry out some plastics, but the clip shouldnt have ever been exposed to fuel liquids or vapors. Plenty of cars well over 13 years old have plastic high pressure retainers still in service.

I think I am either unlucky or unaware of the cars full service history. I have only managed 250 miles on about 11 gallons of fuel basically ideling to work 60 miles a day and could watch the fuel gauge fall under boost. I drove it about 100 miles since restoring the hose connection and consumption is inline with my 2 other EJ25s now.

Still going to change that clip tho :lol:

Archived