LegacyGT.com

Keyfob sync?

I had to use my spare key when I left my main key in another car.

Remote buttons didnt work but unlocked the door manually and started the car fine.

Opened the fob and replaced the batt with a fresh CR1620, no go.

Checked the manual for any sync instructions and it only mentions pressing either the "lock" or "unlock" button 6 times.

Tried that and fob still doesnt work.

I saw a more involved sync procedure that involved key in ignition and bleeps and stuff, maybe that will work?

I would have tried that but I am still translating it so I was hoping to see what you guys have done.

I should maybe mention that though the old battery was not corroded, the little metal tab in the fob that contacts the side of the battery seemed loose, is it really like that?

EDIT: FIXED, SEE POST #4

Oh, and this is the other procedure I found, in Nasioc:

Programming remote*

(to maintain your sanity your local dealer should do this for you with their computer)*

1. Close all doors, trunk, gate*

2. Open the driver’s door, sit in the driver’s seat, and close the door.*

3. Perform the following steps within 45 seconds.*

(1) Open and close the driver’s door once.*

(2) Insert the key into the ignition switch, then turn it from the “LOCK” position to the “ON” position 10 times within 15 seconds.*

NOTE: When you complete step (2), an electronic tone will sound once. If you do not perform steps (1) and (2) within 45 seconds, an error will occur. An electronic tone will not sound. In this event, perform the whole procedure again beginning with part 1.*

4. Open and close the door once within 15 seconds.*

When part 4 of the procedure is completed, an electronic tone will sound for 30 seconds. If you do not perform the operations in part 4 within 15 seconds, an error*

will occur and the electronic tone will not sound. In this event, perform the registration steps again beginning with part 3 of the procedure.*

5. Before the electronic tone stops sounding, press the lock side of the power door lock switch the same number of times as the leftmost digit of the transmitter*

code. For example, press the lock switch eight times if the leftmost digit of the code is 8.*

NOTE . The electronic tone will stop sounding when you start entering the number. If you do not start entering the number using the lock switch before the electronic tone stops sounding, an error will occur. In this event, perform the registration steps again beginning with part 3 of the procedure.*

If the interval between one press of the switch and the next exceeds 5 seconds, an error will occur. In this event, perform the procedure again beginning with part 4. If an error occurs six times, perform the procedure again starting with part 3.*

6. When you have finished entering the number, press the unlock side of the lock switch within 5 seconds.*

NOTE . An electronic tone will sound. If you press the unlock side of the lock switch when more than 5 seconds have passed, an error will occur. In this*

event, perform the procedure again beginning with part 4. If an error occurs six times, perform the procedure again starting with part 3.*

7. Perform parts 5 and 6 of the procedure for each of the remaining digits of the transmitter code beginning with the second digit (counting from the left) and*

finishing with the eighth digit.*

NOTE When you finish entering the eighth digit, an electronic tone will sound for 30 seconds. If the interval between one press of the switch and the next exceeds 5*

seconds, an error will occur. In this event, perform the procedure again beginning with part 4. If an error occurs six times, perform the procedure again starting with part 3.*

8. Before the electronic tone stops sounding, use the power door lock switch to reenter the transmitter code beginning with the leftmost digit.*

If you do not start entering the number using the lock switch before the electronic tone stops sounding, an error will occur. In this event, perform the procedure again beginning with part 3.*

9. When you have finished entering the code a second time, an electronic tone will sound for 1 second to indicate completion of registration, provided the code entered the second time is identical to that entered the first time.*

NOTE If the code entered the second time is not identical to the code entered the first time, an error will occur. In this event, perform the procedure again*

beginning with part 5. If an error occurs five times, perform the procedure again starting with part 3.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2756897

I've never seen a Konami code for the 5th-gen Legacy, but that looks to be almost exactly the same as the procedure I found for my Baja (which is basically a 3rd-gen), so I wouldn't be surprised if that worked. Let me check parts.subaru.com and see if the keyless module is the same on the Legacy as on the Crosstrek...

Edit: looks like no. The immobilizer ECU is coming across the Impreza chassis line (includes the Forester, Crosstrek, WRX, and STI), and the keyless unit is the same group less the WRX and STI. Could be the same brain box with different mounting holes for all I know, though.

I'd try it and see- you should know if it's going to work by the end of step 2, and the worst that could happen is you look dumb if someone's watching you.

Thank you for checking, yes, you are right, no Konami code on our fobs. Pulled it apart again and no numbers anywhere.

While it was apart I took a look at that loose terminal again. When I jiggled it I was able to pull it out. Uh-oh. I dunno if it's supposed to be that way or soldered to the board. The connection is hidden under plastic.

Reading some more I see some warranty claims on key fobs that dont work because of loose connections.

So I am now leaning towards a dead fob. I'll fiddle with it some more and see what happens.

Got it to work!

I peeked under the plastic and manuevered the connector back into its holes, put the battery back on, put some tape over the loose battery connector to act as a wedge to push it downward when the cover is on, then buttoned her up. Worked right away without any syncing.

Glad I didnt go through that mess of a sync process lol!

On my key, there's a sticker on the back of the housing that I'm pretty sure used to have a number and a barcode on it. I think it's still there on my spare, but there's nothing left of it on the key that rides around in my pocket all the time.

Archived