LegacyGT.com

Adaptive Cruise Control malfunction

That post had me a bit confused until I did some Googling

At first I thought why does having having a lot of Rotary clubs near you, affect the Eyesight system? But I have since discovered you are probably referring to "roundabouts." :)

That's the perk of different names in different parts of the world, I was considering the US spectators! :)

What I discovered is that when I enter the roundabout when there's a vehicle crossing my path and it's on it's way out then the eyesight complains even though it wouldn't have been any chance of me hitting it. The eyesight don't understand sideways items leaving the danger zone very well.

If I had to wait for the vehicles clearing before entering then I would never get anywhere and I would accumulate a queue behind me that's annoyed.

453747.png

when your car brakes suddenly for no apparent reason at 70 mph it is a very unsettling experience.

The apparent reason is that the path based on the rate of deceleration of the car in front and the path based on the speed and direction of your car at that given moment intersect.

Don't forget that the ES system also uses the steering vector input to calculate where it will be based on the current values. Couple of questions to ask yourself: Did the road have even a slight curve at that point? Were you providing any steering input?

ES does not know that you will yank at the steering wheel when you get too close to the car in front; so if its calculation for speed and steering angle put it where the car in the front is, it will take action.

Same thing with roundabouts; if you are on the gas and the car in front is exiting, ES does not know that you will let go of the pedal or provide steering input to avoid a collision, so it warns and if its close enough hit the brakes.

If you do get in an accident, try explaining to your insurance agent that the car in front signaled to exit your lane so you sped up. And because the car in front just abruptly stopped/ didn't fully exit your lane, you hit it. And it's not your fault because s/he was supposed to be out of your lane. See who wins.

Archived