LegacyGT.com

How to remove rotors?

Qship

I just got two bolts in the size specified in post #2, threw them into a ziploc, and they are in the storage cubby along with the other stuff.

The calipers could last for the life of the car IF the fluid is flushed on a regular basis. It is normally corrosion fron bad fluid that can kill a caliper. That's why the fluid should be flushed every couple of years at a minimum. And always when you change pads.

As you can see in the PDFs, two bolts for the caliper just to change pads, then the two bigger bolts to remove the caliper bracket to get the rotor off. Then the two small bolts to loosen the rotor. I have needed those two bolts every time I've pulled a rotor. They make the job so easy it isn't worth using the traditional BFH method.

Ron

I haven't heard anyone really talk about calipers.... are the stock calipers working great.... how long should they last... some brake places (and tire places) always change out the caliper whenever they do a brake service... probably for more money but it does bring up the question...when do calipers need service or replacement..... if we add the Hawk HPS pads, new brake fluid, performance rotors,.....but I don't hear anything about the calipers......

thanks

Stock calipers will be fine for the majority of people. A properly upgraded stock brake system (pads, fluid, rotors) will even do quite well at the track with little to no fade.

The OEM calipers should last you for quite some time. The reason calipers are changed on older cars is that the shops doing the work would rather swap them for rebuilt cores rather than rebuild them with new seals.

ignore him, he'll go away.

No luck with a search. Does anyone know of a walk through for removing the rotors. I have Bobcats to put on and when I had the new tires put on the tech said it was just a couple of more bolts than doing the pads. Haven't done anything like this in the past but I can certainly undo some bolts and torque to spec. Is there anything I should be aware of that isn't covered in the vacations pics? Any special tools needed?

I made a FAQ on upgrading rotors, go do a search in there for them there.

Keefe

Archived