LegacyGT.com

What is this tape covering

Over on the OB forum I posted this and it seems this tape job is prevalent on the OB. Just wondering if other models have the mystery tape.

I was cleaning the door jams this morning and noticed there is tape on the doors rubber wiring loom. Could the electric tape be covering a connection? It is starting to look a little old and maybe this could be part of the reason the passenger door wouldn't open the other day?

I've only seen electric tape in these rubbers if a mechanic had to fix some wiring.

My 2015 drivers door tape looks a bit long in the tooth so the longevity of the tape on this rubber hose is questionable. One poster said it is covering a two piece fitting. Never before saw a two piece fitting for the rubber that houses the door wiring.

So does anyone else have this tape?

193785798_Outbackcoveredwithelectape.thumb.jpg.e00edcc620850d7e64c723587eb94ad7.jpg

Didn't ever notice this until You posted. Our OB has it on both side for the front doors. The way it looks, it does seem to be a two piece rubber cable router and the tape is there as added protection so the two pieces don't separate over time.

Why did they use a two piece design instead of a single piece one like on the rear doors can only be answered by subaru's design engineers. I'd think its probably to be able to easily install option wiring. The base model would just have the wires for the windows and doors, and the trims up would add the stuff for welcome lighting, blind spot and heated mirrors.

If you ever tried getting a wire through one of them, you'll know what I mean.

I agree that it is a two piece arrangement and yes it is difficult to fish the wire through a one piece tube. But

1. If ninety nine percent of car manufactures found a way to fish the wire through, Subaru should be able to do the same.

2. The two piece arrangement will not (IMHO) out last a one piece tube as a water tight arrangement

3. For expediency and probably a capital saving move, Subaru engaged in creating a standard joint that is not consistent with other manufacturers.

Maybe it is a special tape but it still doesn't seem as pliable as rubber or other such materials.

Didn't ever notice this until You posted. Our OB has it on both side for the front doors. The way it looks, it does seem to be a two piece rubber cable router and the tape is there as added protection so the two pieces don't separate over time.

Why did they use a two piece design instead of a single piece one like on the rear doors can only be answered by subaru's design engineers. I'd think its probably to be able to easily install option wiring. The base model would just have the wires for the windows and doors, and the trims up would add the stuff for welcome lighting, blind spot and heated mirrors.

Quirks on cars is what seems to be today's standards. :)

If you ever tried getting a wire through one of them, you'll know what I mean.

I don't see any reason Subaru should do the same as other car manufacturers. If that was the case we would all be driving Black Fords!

I'm pretty sure its a rubber on rubber twist lock type seal and the tape is on there as added protection. If you don't remove it and reapply, that tape will outlast the remainder of the rubber piece.

That rubber does take a beating over the years. Stretching, twisting, pulling every time you open and close the door in all temps and conditions.

It may actually be better design so each end twists a shorter degree vs the center portion twisting a larger degree in a single piece

I agree that it is a two piece arrangement and yes it is difficult to fish the wire through a one piece tube. But

1. If ninety nine percent of car manufactures found a way to fish the wire through, Subaru should be able to do the same.

2. The two piece arrangement will not (IMHO) out last a one piece tube as a water tight arrangement

3. For expediency and probably a capital saving move, Subaru engaged in creating a standard joint that is not consistent with other manufacturers.

Maybe it is a special tape but it still doesn't seem as pliable as rubber or other such materials.

Seriously why do you own Subarus?

Seriously why do Jaguar owners not have a problem pointing out flaws in Jags? Caddie owners do not have a problem, Volvo owners have no problem pointing out flaws but Subaru owners oh no no no don't point out flaws. I've been on those high end car forums because I've owned those cars and I can tell you, they have not one problem pointing out engineering flaws.

Are subaru owners in a cult?

Seriously why do you own Subarus?

The UCC electrical code says that using in an area where twisting of such tape is not allowed. Why do you think that is? Because it is a dumb idea to use tape to cover what should be one solid piece that will be prone to movement. It is cheap looking and will most likely fail far before the time of rubber.

I was helping my kid remove the door panel on his 99 Sable and the rubber loom protector is in great shape. I will lay money on the table that in 20 years the tape will not be in such shape as his 1999 Sable.

So seriously why did they go cheap?

"The characteristic constituent of the thermoplastic tape covered in this Standard is either PVC (polyvinyl chloride or a copolymer of vinyl chloride and vinyl acetate), or PE (thermoplastic polyethylene). For the characteristic constituent(s) of rubber tape."

I don't see any reason Subaru should do the same as other car manufacturers. If that was the case we would all be driving Black Fords!

I'm pretty sure its a rubber on rubber twist lock type seal and the tape is on there as added protection. If you don't remove it and reapply, that tape will outlast the remainder of the rubber piece.

That rubber does take a beating over the years. Stretching, twisting, pulling every time you open and close the door in all temps and conditions.

It may actually be better design so each end twists a shorter degree vs the center portion twisting a larger degree in a single piece

... Could the electric tape be covering a connection? ...

I don’t think so. The FSM appears to show the door harness connector just inside the vehicle body, so I can’t see why there would be another one inside the rubber section.

From ‘Front Door (EB-22)’ section of the FSM:

“Push in the claws to remove the grommet, and pull out the door harness connector.”

The claws are three claws that appears to be part of the bottom of the rubber grommet that fits into the door jamb (the round rubber part at the bottom of the attached image in the opening post).

I don’t know what the tape is for, but I would say it is factory fitted & is just for extra mechanical protection (I don’t know if it’s because that loom carries the wiring for the airbag front door impact sensor or not). On my Australian spec (Japan built) 2016 Liberty 3.6R the tape is wound firmly over a radial ridge that is in the centre of the non-concertina section. If the rubber is in two halves (& I doubt that it is) I can’t make them twist or move relative to each other.

But if it has been manufactured in two halves. Perhaps they get aligned in the correct orientation for the door & door jamb, then pushed together & taped so they don’t move before being fitted to the vehicle.

Seriously why do Jaguar owners not have a problem pointing out flaws in Jags? Caddie owners do not have a problem, Volvo owners have no problem pointing out flaws but Subaru owners oh no no no don't point out flaws. I've been on those high end car forums because I've owned those cars and I can tell you, they have not one problem pointing out engineering flaws.

Are subaru owners in a cult?

No cult- this isn't a flaw it's the way they choose to do it.

If you want them to do it like all the other manufacturers out there, they wouldn't offer top safety picks with AWD for less than most none AWD cars.

The UCC electrical code says that using in an area where twisting of such tape is not allowed. Why do you think that is? Because it is a dumb idea to use tape to cover what should be one solid piece that will be prone to movement. It is cheap looking and will most likely fail far before the time of rubber.

I was helping my kid remove the door panel on his 99 Sable and the rubber loom protector is in great shape. I will lay money on the table that in 20 years the tape will not be in such shape as his 1999 Sable.

So seriously why did they go cheap?

"The characteristic constituent of the thermoplastic tape covered in this Standard is either PVC (polyvinyl chloride or a copolymer of vinyl chloride and vinyl acetate), or PE (thermoplastic polyethylene). For the characteristic constituent(s) of rubber tape."

Stop googling shit you don't understand and trying to apply to shit you don't understand.

Seriously using building electrical codes and trying to apply to a vehicle:spin:

Maybe those building code should mandate air bags at the bottom of stairs with a monitor so they can deploy when someone trips and falls.

Seriously using building electrical codes and trying to apply to a vehicle ...

Yep. :facepalm: I was wondering if anyone else was going to notice.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Hard to get a good picture with my car in the garage (doors don't fully open), and I don't want to wake up my neighbors right now by moving it out.

Here's my driver side and passenger side after 10 years and 228k

driver.thumb.jpg.3fe2b02e652c2a3fe2fc25c06fe84888.jpg

passenger.thumb.jpg.c7e971fafb45f334bab32489a0bede69.jpg

Going by the left photo of your driver’s side door it appears that underneath the tape the top section is a larger OD than the bottom section. So perhaps the bottom section pushes into the top section prior to fitting to the vehicle.

You extrapolate the design of such tape to the effects of twisting motions. Stop trying to be an $!$!$!$. Air bags? You seriously bring air bags in a debate? Here I'll spell the word for you --- Takata. It wasn't just Subaru but someone used the wrong material (ammonium nitrate ). Which leads to the point of the tape discussion and the UCC code example.

Stop googling shit you don't understand and trying to apply to shit you don't understand.

Seriously using building electrical codes and trying to apply to a vehicle:spin:

Maybe those building code should mandate air bags at the bottom of stairs with a monitor so they can deploy when someone trips and falls.

I mean if the boys on this forum think that mess looks well engineered and looks good then --- I have some swamp land I'd like to sell.

There are people who love to argue and I'll jump in with them. This started as a "what is this" question and some people turned into a why do you drive Subaru question.

The internet is a wonderful thing and search engines are great devices. It isn't hard to find flaws with Subaru but it is just as easy to find why the subaru is good. Forums have never been about the hand waving and waxing philosophically about the greatness of a car. If you want that, there is Subaru.com and they will toot their own horn all day long. Car forums have always been about questions, what is wrong with my car, why is it doing this, what is this dongle for, what were those engineers thinking, etc.

I have a subaru for the same reason I have some vintage electric guitars. They all have their quirks, they all have their good and from time to time they all need to be fixed. I enjoy playing those old guitars, I enjoy the ride of the OB but that does not mean there are no flaws in them.

Since nobody has a definitive answer I am personally putting this discussion to bed. Maybe someone will find the answer to what is behind door number three or just cut the tape. It won't be me. :)

Hard to get a good picture with my car in the garage (doors don't fully open), and I don't want to wake up my neighbors right now by moving it out.

OH MY GOD YOU DON'T DRIVE ANY KIDS AROUND IN THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT"S GOING TO CATCH FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

:spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

You extrapolate the design of such tape to the effects of twisting motions. Stop trying to be an $!$!$!$. Air bags? You seriously bring air bags in a debate? Here I'll spell the word for you --- Takata. It wasn't just Subaru but someone used the wrong material (ammonium nitrate ). Which leads to the point of the tape discussion and the UCC code example.

I'm not being an ass. See the issue is you can't see it, but the blunt honest truth is you're that poster.

Yes the one that every forum has- that for the most part just posts stupid shit. When users see them post they think to themselves oh this is gonna be good.

Sorry someone had to tell you.

Archived