LegacyGT.com

Valve cover gaskets on an 06 Legacy....what a nightmare!

I was able to do my 02 Forester's gaskets, plugs, wires in about 2-3 hours. Plenty of room, not a lot of little stuff to remove....EASY!

My 06 Legacy is a total basketcase to do! I started at 2pm today and just finished the driver's side! Couldn't even get the cover out of the puzzle of a space they give you to work with so I cleaned it up real good and put the new gasket/cups in with it just tilted. But in order to get that far I had to unplug 3 sensors, take off the fuel injector rail after removing the cover, take off the oil fill/funnel, and that's on top of the usual battery removal.

I'm seriously dreading the passenger side because that looks even worse. I can't find any vids of anyone doing this model year or any other years like it online. Any advice would be great as I'm tackling the passenger side tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Next time just unbolt the engine mounts and lift the engine a couple inches.

I don't have an engine hoist/crane. And I'm guessing I'd have to disconnect a hell of a lot more than I already had to just to lift it those few inches.

Without pulling the engine, any advice on how the passenger's side might differ from the driver's?

Thanks

FWIW, I don't lift either, but since OP ended up removing the fuel rail, I figgered his hands are bigger than ours.

My hands were chewed up. But the fuel rail was removed just so the valve cover could be maneuvered better and even then it was still not able to be pulled completely out due to the lower right corner being too tight.

So again...any tips on the passenger side?

Thanks

Not sure if it's a turbo or non-turbo, but on my '09 the passenger side was much easier than the driver side. There really are no tricks that I can think of other than what has already been suggested, I don't think the passenger side should give you much trouble (if it's a NA).

Not sure if it's a turbo or non-turbo, but on my '09 the passenger side was much easier than the driver side. There really are no tricks that I can think of other than what has already been suggested, I don't think the passenger side should give you much trouble (if it's a NA).

Yes it's NA. Good to know. But there looks to be a large pressurized line/hose over top of it that"s in the way. No? Also, do I need to undo the fuel injector/rail on the passenger side to?

Thanks

there looks to be a large pressurized line/hose over top of it that"s in the way. No? Also, do I need to undo the fuel injector/rail on the passenger side to?

Thanks

The power steering return line is not pressurized, but removing it is more trouble than it's worth cause you have to plug the reservoir somehow. Big mess.

No need to remove the fuel rail, but that goes for driver side too, so :shrug:

This only applies to 4th gen LGT (turbo) cars. But it is a well documented fact that the white coil connectors are Cyl 1 and 3 and the black connectors are Cyl 2 and 4. So, white to the front and black to the back. Is Subaru racist?

Archived