LegacyGT.com

Parking brake recall for 6MT Legacy/Outback models

I wonder if the repair parts used in the past fix the problem, or if they are still prone to whatever issues lead to the recall... the recall dragged out a lot from when they had announced it to when they finally had parts, and I thought it was because they were having to redo the unit to address whatever the issues were - when the new part was "released" they did the recall. So having the extended warranty is definitely a good thing!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got a warranty extension notice in the mail for my 3.6R. It extends the standard warranty (3yr/36k) on the parking brake to 15yr/unlimited.

That’s better than I thought! It’s not the recall I had hoped for, but it should cover those of us with 5th Gen’s and autotragic transmissions for plenty long enough.

I guess I’ll turn my hill-holder back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got the letter stating the same extended warranty for my '13 2.5i. I thought at first it was only for the 2010 and 2011, but hey I'm not complaining :lol:

Maybe they were waiting on the updated part that is also being used in current models. It seems parts supplies are tight at SOA.

The current generation (well, the 15-19, and the 20+) use a different system - they use something where the caliper is actuated, rather than having a cable actuated drum like we have - it's really quiet. The actuator is mechanical - not sure how it works, though (if it's a separate piston on the brake pad, or if it pushes on the back of the piston or something weird like that)

The current generation (well, the 15-19, and the 20+) use a different system - they use something where the caliper is actuated, rather than having a cable actuated drum like we have - it's really quiet. The actuator is mechanical - not sure how it works, though (if it's a separate piston on the brake pad, or if it pushes on the back of the piston or something weird like that)

Are you sure that isn't the Auto Vehicle Hold feature? Admittedly I hadn't given any thought to it, I guess I need to be looking at what is actually on our new vehicle, lol. I have been waiting on a pdf version of the FSM but nothing even remotely close yet.

Edited by FLlegacy

Are you sure that isn't the Auto Vehicle Hold feature? Admittedly I hadn't given any thought to it, I guess I need to be looking at what is actually on our new vehicle, lol. I have been waiting on a pdf version of the FSM but nothing even remotely close yet.

I'm pretty sure.

Here's the exploded view from the service manual. I had looked into it back when I had a '19 Legacy loaner in April and was weirded out when I couldn't hear the parking brake engage!

Capture1.thumb.JPG.6e81ec128bff2fdbb9be92119fd4f228.JPG

My parents have a ‘15 Outback. The rear calipers have screw-type pistons that ride on a threaded rod. The threaded rod is attached to a motor turns it and effectively screws the piston down when you engage the brake. It’s a pretty straightforward system. I had an old Audi a while back that had the same type of system, with screw type pistons. The parking brake cable was attached to a lever that turned the screw and clamped the pistons down mechanically.

Frankly, I’m kind of surprised Subaru ever had the older system with the parking brake drum-inside-rotor design when they went electric. It’s far more complex than the newer one. All I can think of is that they had a whole bunch of parts stock they didn’t want to just junk, so they came up with a transition design to let them use up the stock. Though, I though Subaru practices JIT like most manufacturers do. I dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

American manufacturers aren't quite to the standard of quality and timely delivery they should be. And many parts are still sourced from overseas, so I suppose they cant be strictly JIT someone is carrying inventory at some point along the supply chain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

the newer cars use the rear caliper for the electronic parking brake.

I use my parking brake 3x a day every working day and when i stop to get the mail, park in my drive way to open the garage or park anywhere that is not level. No issues yet in 6 years and 66K miles

the newer cars use the rear caliper for the electronic parking brake.

I use my parking brake 3x a day every working day and when i stop to get the mail, park in my drive way to open the garage or park anywhere that is not level. No issues yet in 6 years and 66K miles

I also use my parking brake anywhere that's not level. I don't want all the strain to go on my transmission, plus I feel better knowing it's planted to the ground :eek: