LegacyGT.com

Will Subaru be replacing the 3.6 engine anytime soon?

now for the pipe dream... a destroked 3.6 to 3.3 and twin turbos would make one heck of a Legacy GT... yes, I want it to compete with the Kia Stinker.

The right engine was already made back in 2004, the 3.0R. Put a twin turbo on this and its 400Hp easy. Bought up to modern spec and its a 500Hp engine configuration.

Its as others have said, its not a market segment Subaru seems interested in.

At least there is an exciting possibility in the pipeline with the STi.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The right engine was already made back in 2004, the 3.0R.

I liked the way my earlier 2004 Outback 3.0R used to get its second wind when the valves opened to their extra lift. Something the current 3.6R doesn’t have but still a beautiful smooth revving engine with much more performance.

After having an FA20DIT in the SJ Foz XT & a 3.6R in the current Liberty I’m not looking forward to going to a FA20DIT in my next Liberty. But I can see the Liberty getting that unless Subaru want to put in an engine that can use non-premium fuel, in which case it could be the FA24DIT retuned.

BTW ... I can’t believe how many gen4 Legacy wagons I saw when I was in NZ a few months ago. The best looking Legacy/Liberty ever made.

Well its simulated 8spd.. yes its belt driven set up..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

negative, Subaru along with all other manufacturers use a steel chain in the variator.

and yes it is possible for a larger engine to be more fuel efficient... RPM, gearing, coefficient of drag, tires, etc all play a part

I liked the way my earlier 2004 Outback 3.0R used to get its second wind when the valves opened to their extra lift. Something the current 3.6R doesn’t have but still a beautiful smooth revving engine with much more performance.

BTW ... I can’t believe how many gen4 Legacy wagons I saw when I was in NZ a few months ago. The best looking Legacy/Liberty ever made.

Very little performance difference between the 3.6 and the 3.0R, you wouldn't notice the difference between 184kW and 191kW. yes I love the way the variable valves kick in, its a bit like a low boost turbo.

As mentioned elsewhere, we love the wagons over here and hence we get the Levorg. The Wagon is so practical and drives the same as a Sedan so for any other reason other than the way it looks at the back, you would buy a wagon.

No performance difference between the 3.0 and 3.6? I've never driven a 3.0-powered Subie, but I recall hearing people say it's pretty much a dog compared to the 3.6R.

I could be mistaken.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

No performance difference between the 3.0 and 3.6? I've never driven a 3.0-powered Subie, but I recall hearing people say it's pretty much a dog compared to the 3.6R.

I could be mistaken.

I also have a 2000 outback with the "Same" 3.0 engine (EZ30D ?), its a different beast. About 156kW from memory. The 3.0R (EZ30R) is 184kW and has a 7000rpm redline, they are chalk and cheese.

You would be happy with the 3.0R in your Porsche Boxster, some of their earlier engines were not this good back in 2005.

Very little performance difference between the 3.6 and the 3.0R, you wouldn't notice the difference between 184kW and 191kW. yes I love the way the variable valves kick in, its a bit like a low boost turbo.

:) Yes not much difference in kW but the 350Nm of torque (plus the CVT) the 3.6R has makes a difference climbing a mountain. I’ve compared them both.

While not a wagon, this article makes an interesting read. Click on the PHOTOS tab at the top for more photos.

I could be mistaken.

EZ30D 3.0L made 225hp or 75hp/L torque was a respectable 213ft/lbs

EZ30D 3.0L with new heads 245hp or 81.6... hp/L torque was a respectable 219ft/lbs

EZ36D 3.6L makes 256 or 71.1....hp/L torque is an OK 247ft/lbs

If Subaru would have tuned for power the 3.6L would really be around 300hp with torque being around 263ish assuming Subaru made no improvements in HP/L and TQ/L numbers over the second iteration of the EZ30D

for comparison Acura's (Honda's) 3.2L performance engine came in at 260hp or 81.25HPL with factory headers the NSX 3.0L was 250 so Subaru was not off on their game

Archived