LegacyGT.com

2018 Legacy Acceleration 2.5 L...and Reviewers

Reviewers often comment on the 2.5 Legacy's lackluster acceleration. But this has never jived with my experience. From 0-60 flat out- there is some CVT lag however if you check out Car and Drivers Engine and Transmission review (below), you will see that it beats the Camry SE and Passat in 50-70 and is only very slightly slower than the aforementioned in the Quarter mile. Rarely do I need to floor the accelerator- and even then 0-60 in 8.6 seconds is fast enough to be safe. And on wet, gravel and snowy surfaces... probably no comparison.

The same disconnect applies to steering responsiveness. The Legacy is not taut- but it is precise and light- almost lively. Characterizing its steering as numb, as I have seen in some reviews, is misleading and incorrect.

Ditto for styling. Have you driven the new Accord and to a lesser degree the new Camry? Both have much less visibility- front, rear and sides than the Legacy. And for a family sedan this IS a big deal. Also, while it is subjective, both have exaggerated front end styles. So to characterize the Legacy as "boring" compared to these cars- is I believe unfair. It may be a bit staid- and in this case boring may be a virtue.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-subaru-legacy-in-depth-model-review-2018-subaru-legacy-engine-and-transmission-review-car-and-driver-page-2

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think the space age styling of the new Camry and Accord will get old pretty quickly. The Legacy is a fine looking car and the AWD trumps FWD. For me, no contest, even if it means an extra second to get to 60 MPH.

btw, I agree the 2.5 is underpowered. That is why we went with the 3.6 and my comments pertain to it.

Consumer reports claim the legacy goes 0-60 in 10.2 SEC. I think the initial start is ok, then is seems slow.

Car and Driver, Road and Track, etc all apply some calculations to their 0-60 times where as CR just mashes the petal and records the results...

while a CVT will be slower than a stick, if you properly apply the throttle, you can get better results. Mash and go is not the best IMHO but rolling onto the throttle works very well...

8.6 - 8.8 seconds 0-60 mph is the tested times by Car and Driver/Motortrend.

since most people won't bother modding a Subaru Legacy for power, that is what most drivers should expect. those are just two test results, other sources show it to be even slower.

Coming off a '05 Legacy GT, I agree my '17 Legacy 2.5L is not fast, but it's nowhere near as bad as a lot of reviewers make it. On the other hand, after driving the 3.6R I think it's overrated for power. Rated slightly more powerful than my old GT, it was sluggish and nose-heavy.

totally irrelevant to this thread...

OP brought up the accord in the first post. It's also mentioned in the second post. Hardly irrelevant.

Enjoy your new Accord then.

Were I in the market for a new car, I'd do just that.

I could suck start a snow blower.

Reviewers often comment on the 2.5 Legacy's lackluster acceleration. But this has never jived with my experience. From 0-60 flat out- there is some CVT lag however if you check out Car and Drivers Engine and Transmission review (below), you will see that it beats the Camry SE and Passat in 50-70 and is only very slightly slower than the aforementioned in the Quarter mile. Rarely do I need to floor the accelerator- and even then 0-60 in 8.6 seconds is fast enough to be safe. And on wet, gravel and snowy surfaces... probably no comparison.

The same disconnect applies to steering responsiveness. The Legacy is not taut- but it is precise and light- almost lively. Characterizing its steering as numb, as I have seen in some reviews, is misleading and incorrect.

Ditto for styling. Have you driven the new Accord and to a lesser degree the new Camry? Both have much less visibility- front, rear and sides than the Legacy. And for a family sedan this IS a big deal. Also, while it is subjective, both have exaggerated front end styles. So to characterize the Legacy as "boring" compared to these cars- is I believe unfair. It may be a bit staid- and in this case boring may be a virtue.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-subaru-legacy-in-depth-model-review-2018-subaru-legacy-engine-and-transmission-review-car-and-driver-page-2

Lol.

The same article you linked to says, verbatim, "much slower than competitors".

Lol.

The same article you linked to says, verbatim, "much slower than competitors".

Quoting myself:

"if you check out Car and Drivers Engine and Transmission review (below), you will see that it beats the Camry SE and Passat in 50-70 and is only very slightly slower than the aforementioned in the Quarter mile. Rarely do I need to floor the accelerator- and even then 0-60 in 8.6 seconds is fast enough to be safe. And on wet, gravel and snowy surfaces... probably no comparison."

Archived