LegacyGT.com

Is this normal for CVT - I have no point of reference

I never owned a car with a CVT so I don't know what the signs are of a good or bad CVT. This question applies to our recently purchased, off-lease, 2015 Outback Limited with 36,000 miles on it.

Here are some examples of why I am asking:

Taking off from a dead stop; sometimes the car will kind of lurch forward (as though a turbo was engaged); sometimes it doesn't seem to be taking off at all (engine revs seem to be going higher without the normal expected forward movement).

Sometimes when the car goes from a dead stop it has a rolling effect, like it is catching but not but maybe but not. I can't say it is bucking and it is hard to define.

My driveway is on a small grade (maybe 20%) and with my cars that had regular transmission, the trans would hold on the driveway. This car the trans will slide backward and I have to hold my left foot on the brake, right foot on gas so that I don't slide into the car parked behind me.

I have no point reference and maybe this is just the way of a CVT?

You've complained so frequently about your Outback that it's hard to tell whether there's actually a problem here or not. Regardless, the CVT warranty on all MY 2015 Legacys and Outbacks has been extended by Subaru to 10 years/100,000 miles, so you should be well covered. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

All I can tell you is that our 2018 Legacy 3.6 doesn't do any of those things. In fact, it actually feels almost like a regular automatic transmission complete with apparent shift points. Not sure I'd even know it was a CVT if I wasn't told. Maybe they've changed the way these transmissions work since yours was built. Or there's something wrong with it.

Check with your dealership about any programming updates which could be applied.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Hm? You following me? :)

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/497843-my-transmission-correctly-working.html#post5686401

You've complained so frequently about your Outback that it's hard to tell whether there's actually a problem here or not. Regardless, the CVT warranty on all MY 2015 Legacys and Outbacks has been extended by Subaru to 10 years/100,000 miles, so you should be well covered.

Parking brake is electric and at some point you'll need to disengage that electric brake.

Which places you back in the same place, applying the left foot to the brake so the car can be maneuvered out of a parking space while on a hill.

Hit the parking brake.

Parking brake is electric and at some point you'll need to disengage that electric brake.

Which places you back in the same place, applying the left foot to the brake so the car can be maneuvered out of a parking space while on a hill.

Once you move it automatically disengages. That is in your OM if you haven't had the chance to researched it at this point.
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Good idea and I have an appointment at the dealer today so I'll ask them about it.

QUOTE=Rowlette;5826847]Check with your dealership about any programming updates which could be applied.

I have found that gently rolling into the throttle alleviates a significant amount of the lurching or jerk with the CVT engagement (aka rubber band effect). also the car will drive differently depending upon engine operating temp... cold = high revs for the same speed.

I have found that gently rolling into the throttle alleviates a significant amount of the lurching or jerk with the CVT engagement (aka rubber band effect). also the car will drive differently depending upon engine operating temp... cold = high revs for the same speed.

I am a pretty conservative driver in regards to the throttle. I take off at the lights as you appear to do ...... I would call it "normally' as against "gently" ..... unless there is some imminent disaster approaching, I don't ever see the need to be the first car away from a dead stop ...... I keep up with the traffic without the need to be the "leader." As a result .... I have never felt the "rubber band" and like a previous poster BobbyR wrote " .. it actually feels almost like a regular automatic transmission complete with apparent shift points. Not sure I'd even know it was a CVT if I wasn't told ..." maybe one day I'll turn my baseball cap around backwards and turn up the stereo 10 more notches, and drive like a maniac for a day, and see if I can experience this rubber band effect.;)

If this helps at all- I have a 17. I notice that consistantly if not light on the throttle from a dead stop, the car does seem to take off quick. Never slow, but quick enough to move my head back and I notice it. I have to very gently apply throttle to totally eliminate this phenomena.

Also, I have noticed in the mountains when backing, this sucker will roll a long way if you let it. Even in "D". Typically if you shift into D, my previous cars want to move forward. I get the impression on a grade, my car will roll backwards till I hit the brake and then accelerate. As I am aware of that now, I am more careful on steep grades. Brake> full stop>shift>gas.

I am a pretty conservative driver in regards to the throttle. I take off at the lights as you appear to do ...... I would call it "normally' as against "gently" ..... unless there is some imminent disaster approaching, I don't ever see the need to be the first car away from a dead stop ...... I keep up with the traffic without the need to be the "leader." As a result .... I have never felt the "rubber band" and like a previous poster BobbyR wrote " .. it actually feels almost like a regular automatic transmission complete with apparent shift points. Not sure I'd even know it was a CVT if I wasn't told ..." maybe one day I'll turn my baseball cap around backwards and turn up the stereo 10 more notches, and drive like a maniac for a day, and see if I can experience this rubber band effect.;)

stomp on the throttle from a dead stop and you will notice that rubber band immediately

Recent Subarus of all sorts have a pretty sudden throttle tip-in. I am not sure why they decided to tune them this way, but I suspect it is to make them feel snappier off the line than they really are so as to compete with all the turbo fours the competitors are selling. Compared to the CVT in the Prius we had a while back, the one in our Legacy is much more automatic-like, although you can force it to behave like a CVT if you push it.

Once you move it automatically disengages. That is in your OM if you haven't had the chance to researched it at this point.

But the seat belt must be on and all doors properly closed before the auto-disengage works.

The extreme revving at lower temps is badly annoying though. The idea is that the engine should warm up faster but it's almost a dangerous behavior because you don't get the acceleration you may need to merge onto the highway.

453747.png

• 10 months later...

Have you tried parking on a significant hill? I can tell you from experience that the parking brake won't disengage on its own. You have to use the switch.

The OPs experience sounds more like issues with the electronic throttle. The electronic throttle is dumbed down to circumvent unintended acceleration issues, making it really bland for those of us who might use the throttle more aggressively.