LegacyGT.com

Ever feel like these things are similar to AA/NA meetings? Lol

Morning everybody my name is Colby and I am an addict. My first experience with addiction was 2015 when I got my first Subaru. I got myself a 2005 Legacy 2.5i sedan.

Ahh I’m just playin. So anyways I’m about to kick the 150k MI mark and I’m just looking for some recommendations from my fellow hethens and brethren on suggested services, things to look out for sooner then later, common problems... ect

Also, as embarrassing as it is to say, I’ve only done one timing belt in my life on a civic, so I’m looking for some advice on doing that as well. I am fairly mechanically inclined, so I certainly feel like this is more than easy enough for me to take care myself, But I’m sure there’s tricks of the trade as there always is so I’m looking for some advice on that as well.

If that thing's on the original timing belt, then the advice is do it 4 years ago. Not a hard job. As with the Civic, most people's hangup is the crank bolt, and this one's way easier than the Civic. Some people will recommend all sorts of cheap workarounds to remove it, like jam a cheater bar against the frame or ground and bump the starter. Never heard one of those people explain how to install and torque it properly. Some people even use a horrendously misguided technique of bracing it with a belt around the alternator pulley. This damages the alternator. The best way is the Company 23 tool, which is like $50 and SO worth it.

You'll also need a cam lock tool. Company 23 basically invented the best version of that, but the cheaper knockoffs of their design are fine.

Buy an Aisin kit, NOT the Gates kit. Do not replace the water pump. No need to mess with the cam/crank seals unless you see leakage, which is rare.

Edit: you have a 2.5i? Nevermind about the cam lock tool.

Archived