LegacyGT.com

Radio Pandora app suddenly doesn't work

I've been using the Pandora app on the non nav radio for the longest time. Suddenly over the past week the app isn't working.

I tried deleting Pandora off of my phone and reinstalling it

I tried to factory reset my radio (couldn't figure that out. So I just deleted personal data)

Neither of those worked.

The message that comes up is "please make sure you have the Pandora app installed properly"

But I do have the app installing and running.

Is there something wrong with the radio?

Should I try updating it again with the same update file that I have from earlier this year?

Should I try something like unplugging power from the radio to reset it?

I use this feature pretty much every time I drive and not having it is really frustrating.

Any ideas?

Edited by fastcar123

They've been screwing with it so much recently. I canceled my Plus subscription recently because I was sick of it cutting out in the middle of a song, desyncing, and just randomly not working.

One thing I found that served as a workaround was selecting Bluetooth Audio as the source over the Pandora app itself. Not only does using the Bluetooth as a source work (oft times *better* than the app), it also enables you to rewind using the left arrow on your steering wheel.

Other than that, a lot hardware issues come down to the fact that Subaru evidently only tests Apple and Samsung devices with their cars' infotainment.

Edited by destruya

They've been screwing with it so much recently. I canceled my Plus subscription recently because I was sick of it cutting out in the middle of a song, desyncing, and just randomly not working.

One thing I found that served as a workaround was selecting Bluetooth Audio as the source over the Pandora app itself. Not only does using the Bluetooth as a source work (oft times *better* than the app), it also enables you to rewind using the left arrow on your steering wheel.

Other than that, a lot hardware issues come down to the fact that Subaru evidently only tests Apple and Samsung devices with their cars' infotainment.

My issue there is that I don't want to look at my phone while driving. The radio interface was so much more convenient.

But overall you think it's pandoras problem?

If that's the case they may not ever patch it

I'm having the same issue. You can make it work by going in to the Pandora Settings>Adavanced Settings and uncheck the option to allow "Launch from car" and then re-check it. Then hit the Pandora button on the Head Unit and it will connect. BUT... you have to do this each time. It's annoying as hell and so far Pandora has NOT been helpful. I don't know if there's a firmware update for the Head Unit that might fix it or not.

I found this happens to me maybe once or twice a year. The problem has always resolved itself in under a week by just waiting for the Pandora app or iOS to have some kind of update. Although I do not prefer it either, you can still use Pandora from either Bluetooth or AUX cable until everything starts working as normal again.

This is a known Pandora issue for Android phones running the Oreo OS. I am experiencing the same issue, but on my Sony Receiver. In my 2017 Legacy, it works.

I have support tickets open with Pandora support who acknowledged the issue along w/ the work around, but no permanent solution yet.

What phone?

What model year? (2015-17 style or 2018-19 CarPlay/AndroidAuto)

I've been using Pandora with the Starlink head unit and iOS (iPad mini 4 in the Legacy, iPhone 7 in the WRX) for 3+ years now. It's occasionally glitchy, but works 99% of the time.

Restart your phone daily! I turn mine off every night and then plug it in to charge so it powers back on. Same effect as restarting your PC.

Open Pandora before connecting to the car. If this doesn't work, connect first and then open Pandora on your phone. Or connect then use the head unit's Pandora button to launch. If it doesn't work just change to another sequence.

I just upgraded from Pandora Plus to Premium, which lets you download stations and custom playlists. Both show up in the station selection list on the head unit, pretty cool. Lost the unlimited data I had on my iPad so offline mode is a must now.

What phone?

What model year? (2015-17 style or 2018-19 CarPlay/AndroidAuto)

I've been using Pandora with the Starlink head unit and iOS (iPad mini 4 in the Legacy, iPhone 7 in the WRX) for 3+ years now. It's occasionally glitchy, but works 99% of the time.

Restart your phone daily! I turn mine off every night and then plug it in to charge so it powers back on. Same effect as restarting your PC.

Open Pandora before connecting to the car. If this doesn't work, connect first and then open Pandora on your phone. Or connect then use the head unit's Pandora button to launch. If it doesn't work just change to another sequence.

I just upgraded from Pandora Plus to Premium, which lets you download stations and custom playlists. Both show up in the station selection list on the head unit, pretty cool. Lost the unlimited data I had on my iPad so offline mode is a must now.

I'm using a LG G6 with android 8.0. my car is a 2015.

I didn't used to have to restart my phone daily. It used to just work.

Now restarting my phone does not make it work anyway.

From what I've gathered here it's a problem with android 8.0 and Pandora itself.

Damn shame. That was one of my favorite features about that radio.

In no way should that be necessary. This is 2018, not 1998.

I'm using a LG G6 with android 8.0. my car is a 2015.

I didn't used to have to restart my phone daily. It used to just work.

Now restarting my phone does not make it work anyway.

From what I've gathered here it's a problem with android 8.0 and Pandora itself.

Damn shame. That was one of my favorite features about that radio.

Gotcha, can't speak for Android as I'm an iOS user but anytime it refused to work a reboot fixed it. Hopefully the next Pandora update sorts it out for you.

I know what you mean, it's nice to be able to use steering wheel controls to skip and change stations.

In no way should that be necessary. This is 2018, not 1998.

It's even more necessary with the amount of background processes and apps that run with any modern OS. I worked in the phone business for a few years, you wouldn't believe the amount of issues I saw a simple reboot fix.

Pandora Support sent me an e-mail to inform me that it was fixed in the latest update. Horray!

Yup, it's working. Sometimes I have to hit the Pandora button twice because it tries to connect before the Bluetooth is linked.

Also, Pandora may still have some work to do. It no longer picks back up where you left off when you stop and restart the vehicle like it used to.

I'm still glad that it's working again, even with a few discrepancies.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...