LegacyGT.com

Stock or aftermarket rims for snow tires?

biturbowagon

First off, I already STFA. I found lots of info on rims, but I didn't find anything specifically on point.

I want to buy snow tires, and rims for them. I'm not particularly interested in bling. I do want durability: rims that are less likely to bend when they encounter potholes and that are less likely to shed paint or corrode after just a couple years.

What are the compelling reasons to choose aftermarket rims, besides for price and bling, over stock ones? Many of the rims I've seen advertised aren't all that less expensive than the stock ones, and many others are more expensive.

TIA.

actually, OEM price of rims is pretty $$$ itself.

normally, you can get a different width than stock (if you can find one for snow use), possibly a stronger rim AND lighter.

a bent rim also has to do with a mismatch tire size (load capacity) and tire pressure (or just poor driving).

You can get a larger tire to compensate for the pot holes (say a 215/50/17 or so, it can still fit under the stock suspension).

Keefe

For snow tires, the best reason to pick aftermarket rims (with snow tires) is so that you can swap them on and off yourself. You don't need to drive down to your local tire shop to have them swap the snow tires onto your stock rims. Then when the spring rolls around again, you can just stash the snow tires and rims in the corner of your garage, and swap the stock wheels with your all-season or summer-only tires back onto your car.

OEM rims aren't all that much more expensive than many of the aftermarket rims I've seen advertised for sale. If I find a used set of stock rims, the gap will narrow.

My last set of aftermarket snow rims, for my Audi, didn't work out as well as I would have liked. I went down to 16" rims (17" is stock) in part to give more sidewall protection from potholes. I am meticulous about staying on top of tire pressures, and the tires had the right load specs.

Several of the aftermarket rims bent. One of them I don't blame--any rim would have bent with that nasty pothole. But the others shouldn't have bent.

Furthermore, paint bubbled and flaked off, and the metal corroded.

All in all, I wasn't impressed.

So, although I'm not looking to spend huge amounts of $$$s on rims for my LGT, I'd rather spend a bit more up front and buy a quality product than cheapen out and have them turn out to be inferior. That could involve buying aftermarket rims, or a set of stock rims.

I'm contemplating going for the [edit: 205/50R17 option for snow tires, but I want to stay close to the standard rolling diameter]. I certainly am not going for wider than stock.

Thanks for the input.

actually, OEM price of rims is pretty $$$ itself.

normally, you can get a different width than stock (if you can find one for snow use), possibly a stronger rim AND lighter.

a bent rim also has to do with a mismatch tire size (load capacity) and tire pressure (or just poor driving).

You can get a larger tire to compensate for the pot holes (say a 215/50/17 or so, it can still fit under the stock suspension).

keep an eye out for a used set of commonly available rims, like Rota's or Prodrives. Cheap is the key thing to look for.....some scrapes and cosmetic damage makes them cheap, though still quality.

I just bought gunmetal Motegi 17" MR7s for $109 CDN each as my winter setup.

The OEM rims from Subi were WAAAAAY more than that.

Find some cheap aftermarket rims.....much easier in swapping every fall/spring.

Chris

Thanks for the input.

Oh, I definitely plan on buying a second set of rims. It's just a matter of which way to go:

(a) keep stock rims for summer tires, buy a second set of stock rims for snow tires;

or

(b) keep stock rims for summer tires, buy a set of inexpensive aftermarket rims for snow tires;

or

© keep stock rims for snow tires, buy a set of aftermarket rims for summer tires.

In this thread I've assumed that I'd do (a) or (b), but I suppose I could do © instead.

Although I'm not interested in bling for bling's sake, neither am I interested in buying rims that will bend easily and look corroded and nasty in a few years either. Ergo my queries.

I just bought gunmetal Motegi 17" MR7s for $109 CDN each as my winter setup.

The OEM rims from Subi were WAAAAAY more than that.

Find some cheap aftermarket rims.....much easier in swapping every fall/spring.

Chris

I went with C, stock rims for winter, and got some Rota SDR's for summer. Not too much bling, but look pretty nice. I have to admit I paid a good bit more than $109CAD each though... $250CAD to my door.

Also as a reference point for you, my winter tires are Hankook W300 205/50/17s, and I think, although I haven't measured, that they're as wide as the 215 RE92s. I was quite happy with them for the price (roughly $100CAD / tire less than everything else...).

Andy

Andy,

Good price on the Icebears....really good price.

Well I went with the Motegis for winter b/c they were cheap....MUCH cheaper than having to buy new stockers if I banged or curbed them.

I MAY put the summers on the Motegis and winters on the stockers...only problem is the gunmetal...I wanted silver but could only get the deal on gunmetal.....any opinions??

^^Dayummm! That's a good look'n winter setup!

I'm gonna slap some 225.45 W300s on my stock 17" wheels for the winter. So I have PLENTY of time to consider the summer setup. Plus... the W300 are all-season as well... so they can be used in spring & summer just in case I get side-tracked!

I'm highly contemplating having the wheels powder coated for aesthetic purpouses. Just have to find a shop here in southern Colorado that does it!

BiturboWagon: If you keep an eye on the classifieds (members) section, you may in fact come across a setup of factory 17" wheels for a smokin deal! The last set sold for around 400$ I think! Subaru can't beat that with a baseball bat!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Thanks! I'm already keeping an eagle eye on the classifieds. I thought I was going to buy that most recent set, but someone else got them. :icon_frow

^^Dayummm! That's a good look'n winter setup!

I'm gonna slap some 225.45 W300s on my stock 17" wheels for the winter. So I have PLENTY of time to consider the summer setup. Plus... the W300 are all-season as well... so they can be used in spring & summer just in case I get side-tracked!

I'm highly contemplating having the wheels powder coated for aesthetic purpouses. Just have to find a shop here in southern Colorado that does it!

BiturboWagon: If you keep an eye on the classifieds (members) section, you may in fact come across a setup of factory 17" wheels for a smokin deal! The last set sold for around 400$ I think! Subaru can't beat that with a baseball bat!

Archived