LegacyGT.com

If you HAD to replace your wagon today...

Downhill skis were looooonnnnngggg back then. On courses in Vermont and New Hampshire we got clocked at 60 mph (pretty good speed for a 14 yr old). In the 70s, 225s were the norm for downhill events. 205s for giant slalom. 185s for slalom.

I hadn't been skiing for more than a decade when I finally took it back up and went to Vail in 1996. I rented skis and asked for 185s and the guy laughed at me, and told me the equipment had changed since me neandethal era. I think he gave me 155s. I thought I was on ballet skis (look it up - another 70s ski reference).

And btw, if skis are that short now, you could fit them in my 73 Civic without bitching. Man up!

Downhill skis were looooonnnnngggg back then. On courses in Vermont and New Hampshire we got clocked at 60 mph (pretty good speed for a 14 yr old). In the 70s, 225s were the norm for downhill events. 205s for giant slalom. 185s for slalom.

I hadn't been skiing for more than a decade when I finally took it back up and went to Vail in 1996. I rented skis and asked for 185s and the guy laughed at me, and told me the equipment had changed since me neandethal era. I think he gave me 155s. I thought I was on ballet skis (look it up - another 70s ski reference).

And btw, if skis are that short now, you could fit them in my 73 Civic without bitching. Man up!

Yeah, those lengths were serious back then. I’m 39 so I still grew up on straight skis, but sidecuts/twintips/fat shapes were definitely blowing up by the time I was ski-bumming in ’02 and logging lots of days/season.

Haha, as a Quebecois I am sadly familiar with “Le Ski Ballet” – we Quebeckers love skiing and also quirky, cheesy, effete Euro sh!t. So that was right up our alley of course.

Aaaanyway, to your point, a fancy expensive ski car is not necessary. I could certainly get to the ski hill in a clapped-out ’91 Golf with a 97” wheelbase and bald tires. BUT now that I can afford something a bit nicer, I’d rather not. I like poiwer and AWD. I like decent fuel economy. I like comfy seats and a sunroof, and a decent stereo. I like having some wheelbase for my tall frame and for occasional passengers. Moreover the unique conditions of the drive up HWY 99 to-and-fro the hill, my having only one car, and being an enthusiast, point to getting a car that is neither 1) an econobox, 2) a gas swilling luxury SUV, 3) a sports car, but rather 4) a solid jack-of-all-trades. That’s why I love my current wagon, of course, and that’s why I’m looking to maintain that experience.

I believe the Buick Regal is just a badge engineered Opel. So it is definitely very European.

Yes and no. While it is a rebadged Opel built in Germany, the interior is definitely Buick. The one I sat in at the Philly Auto Show back in February was the mid level trim, looked dated and cheap even compared to my 2005 LGT (except for having a touchscreen infotainment system). Though after sitting in Mercedes and Volvos, just about any other interior looks cheap.

Fully loaded they're 40k, I'd rather spend a little more for an XC60/V60.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived