LegacyGT.com

1999 Legacy WRX swap

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site so excuse any errors I make. In the coming months I will be aquiring my mothers 1999 Subaru Legacy. The drivetrain is garbage, the motor has been run out of oil on occasion and the transmission is on its last leg. Due to this I have been exploring my options for a motor swap. What I think I want to do is a EJ20 swap. However, that being said I am not 100% set on a WRX swap. What I need to know is what parts will I need besides the EJ20, a transmission (not sure which one is best), and WRX differentials do I need. I will be doing the work my self, but I am somewhat experienced in working on cars, so things like fabricating the exhaust, installing the motor, etc do not scare me. The only criteria I have for this build is I would like it to be somewhat budget friendly if at all possible. I will not be building the motor at all (at least not until the swap is 100% done). Also I have attached a picture of the body style of my moms car to make sure that I am in the correct forum. IMAGE: https://www.autoblog.com/buy/1999-Subaru-Legacy-2.5GT__4dr_4WD_Sedan/photos/

This site follows non-US model years, so technically you own a Second Generation. My advice with the swap to WRX is to go with a complete donor. You'll need a lot of things that your Legacy does not have. The second option, is to do the build I am. I am taking the short block swap route. I'm simply just swapping the block and rotating assembly. Find more info on the second generation section under Boxer Tech Turbo Build. Using a STI short block with EJ25D heads.

Assuming your car is 5mt to begin with. WRX motor and accesories, wiring harness (preferably complete from front all the way to rear to fuel pump), transmission w/ matching rear diff, maybe front CV's (depending on what transmission you get) as some transmissions use female spline, some use male spline.

Archived