LegacyGT.com

Spec B Bilstiens vs competition

MaasaiWarrior

I'll be looking at changing out my Spec B Bilstiens for something comparable on ride, I'm running swift springs and I've always found my front ride height is a bit tall vs the rear.

I've heard that the bilstiens with the swifts do give it a saggy butt, which I do have on my car, but I love the height at the rear...

For keeping ride quality, since the roads suck where I live, I'm really hoping to stick with the swifts and somehow am able to drop the front ride height just a bit.

Do you guys have any opinions on struts that would work best? There are so many options!

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Konis are my preference. They seem to be somewhat scarce however....I ordered some at end of June and they still haven't shipped yet. :(

Another option is to put a spacer in the rear. Cheaper and faster. :)

Back in the day I had JDM bils with wagon Swift's on my 05 LGT sedan. I'd agree it sat just a tad higher in the front, but was pretty low over all in my opinion even with wagon specific springs on a sedan.

I don't know how struts will effect height either. They shouldn't from my understanding - koni, JDM bils, SpecB bils.

Don't know how you'd get the front a little lower though. I'd say raise the rear a bit too to even it out, or get a 6mt bc it's heavier than the 5mt... Idk.

I think I'm getting wagon Swift's for my SpecB, and I'm hoping for an even stance bc of said 6mt.

I'll be looking at changing out my Spec B Bilstiens for something comparable on ride, I'm running swift springs and I've always found my front ride height is a bit tall vs the rear.

I've heard that the bilstiens with the swifts do give it a saggy butt, which I do have on my car, but I love the height at the rear...

For keeping ride quality, since the roads suck where I live, I'm really hoping to stick with the swifts and somehow am able to drop the front ride height just a bit.

Do you guys have any opinions on struts that would work best? There are so many options!

Have you asked "m sprank" he's pretty good with this stuff. He got us the Koni and Epic spring deals back in the day.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When using bilsteins the front will always ride 3/8" taller. The front top hat is different to accomodate the larger strut shaft. It has nothing to do with the springs.

If you decide to switch to koni you will need legacy front struts for donors and standard front top hats.

Thanks for the replies guys. m sprank I was wondering what the ride height difference was, only 3/8 of an inch wouldn't bother me, but my fronts are higher by about an 1 1/4"

I've driven on them for a while and was wondering if they would "settle" and even out more. All other components are stock..

Yes they are sedan springs, yes they are usdm spec b struts...

Any other ideas? The car rides absolutely great otherwise.

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

The center of the wheel in relation to the center of the fender arch is not the same front to back. The rear wheel is not centered in the fender. It makes the illusion of a saggy butt. If you want the fender gaps to be equal the car will need to be raked.

If someone played with the rear bilsteins the lower spring perch can be installed upside down which will lift the rear about 1".

In my experience the swift springs are a very aggressive drop. Advertised at 1", but much closer to 2".

Thanks for the replies guys. m sprank I was wondering what the ride height difference was, only 3/8 of an inch wouldn't bother me, but my fronts are higher by about an 1 1/4"

I've driven on them for a while and was wondering if they would "settle" and even out more. All other components are stock..

Yes they are sedan springs, yes they are usdm spec b struts...

Any other ideas? The car rides absolutely great otherwise.

I have the same dilemma. I see gt's and base Legacy's on the road and all of them look much more even than my car. It looks like i have a couple dead bodies in my trunk :lol: I have 115k on the clock so I'm thinking new springs and possibly 1/2" spacers. Im not sure if it will work thats my plan when i pull the trigger on the parts and time to do it.

Archived