LegacyGT.com

Cat or muffler delete?

I heard that on my H4 engine (05 Legacy 2.5i, nonturbo) that a muffler delete wouldn't sound good, and the mechanic I was talking with suggested I do a cat delete.

I still want to pass emissions, and I do want the backfire that comes with a resonator, so what are my options?

You are confused. Backfires do not automatically come with a resonator and backfires are BAD, not good.

IMHO the car will sound like utter garbage with a muffler delete. A cat delete wont change the sound much, but will make the exhaust stinky/fail emissions/is a federal offense and will decrease back pressure enough that you will lose low end torque. I do not recommend removing the cats on a 2.5i unless gong to the track and running WOT (when the cats would over heat and become damaged).

Throwing flames out the tail pipe takes a tuning trick and is VERY dangerous. If you have an exhaust leak your car can go BOOM.

You are confused. Backfires do not automatically come with a resonator and backfires are BAD, not good.

IMHO the car will sound like utter garbage with a muffler delete. A cat delete wont change the sound much, but will make the exhaust stinky/fail emissions/is a federal offense and will decrease back pressure enough that you will lose low end torque. I do not recommend removing the cats on a 2.5i unless gong to the track and running WOT (when the cats would over heat and become damaged).

Throwing flames out the tail pipe takes a tuning trick and is VERY dangerous. If you have an exhaust leak your car can go BOOM.

I never thought about the car blowing up... :eek:

I have a custom made Stromung cat back on my sohc forester xs. Sounds great with a 12.5:1 forged engine and cams.

If the fuel vapor escapes pre muffler in a location with enough heat to ignite... boom. Now your car does not throw flames, it is flames. I call this a car-b-q.

I have a custom made Stromung cat back on my sohc forester xs. Sounds great with a 12.5:1 forged engine and cams.

If the fuel vapor escapes pre muffler in a location with enough heat to ignite... boom. Now your car does not throw flames, it is flames. I call this a car-b-q.

LOL CARBEQUE.

I can only imagine how that sounds. Pretty sick I imagine. I have a stock catless UP, Invidia catless DP, and Stromung catback. I love the pops and crackles and there's the occasional flame.

To add to what you said about gaskets, all the explosions wear on the gaskets even harder at the same time so you're more likely to develop a leak (based on my unqualified bonehead expertise).

Maybe I'll switch to a high flow catted DP eventually.

It is subtle until you open it up. I have a set of custom stromung catless headers (test pipes) for track use. Cats would get too hot for that. But I actually only use the catless pipes for track. I use the stock catted pipes for the street.

I built the same engine in a 1999 forester for my tuner. But his car we also supercharged. Lol.

Archived