LegacyGT.com

07 Spec.b Koni compatibility

Anyone know what part numbers for Koni yellows inserts and rear shocks will fit an 07 Spec.B? Will the inserts fit in the stock bilstein strut tube? Ive noticed that many aftermarket struts/shocks for the 06-09 LGT have a disclaimer they dont fit the Spec.B. Anybody know exactly why? Is it just because of the different top hat?

Im replacing the top hats as well, any recommendations on a set that wont break the bank and be durable enough for a daily street car?

Call Koni.

May be "m sprank" will chime in soon and have a reply. He's kind of an expert with this.

I would guess that you can go to a junk yard get four struts from a GT and do it that way.

You can also ask google,

https://www.google.com/search?q=koni+inserts+for+a+Spec+B&oq=koni+inserts+for+a+Spec+B&aqs=chrome..69i57.17804j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Briefly looking there looks like Koni inserts are not made for a Spec B.

I have read that that Bilsteins can be rebuild. In that case contact them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

the spec b incompatibility stems from the from the front shock. spec b's have shorter front springs and a different front top hat that go along with the higher lower spring perch. so if you want to run Konis, you need LGT front shock housings and a LGT top hat, and if you want to keep factory ride height, LGT front springs.

as far as rebuilding the Bilsteins, just buying a set of new HDs from your favorite vendor wont run you much more than a rebuild, and wont cost you downtime.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Rear are the same SpecB to LGT.

Fronts... more than one way to skin this cat. You need LGT donor front strut bodies. OEM are greatly preferred. Now the fun begins.

You can either keep your SpecB front top hats and use a washer as a spacer to make up for the smaller strut shaft in the LGT strut (Koni) and the larger bearing (SpecB top hat). I am not a fan of this, but Mike at AZP has assured me it works without issue. The SpecB front top hat is already 3/8" taller than the LGT front top hat due to the shaft and bearing size differences.

Your second option is to use an LGT front top hat. My preferred method. this will alleviate the "saggy butt" that many SpecB owners complain of.

Whitetiger is right about the springs. With limited options at this point, OEM of H&R would be my preference.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! there really isnt much info on the spec.b out there so i really appreciate the help.

The Previous owner has some tein springs on the stock bilsteins that i will be using. Im going to try and find some front lgt struts to put the koni inserts in them and using aftermarket lgt top hats. Anybody have a set of oe struts laying around? would 2.5i strut housings work?

I needed a front strut from a junkyard, I paid $60 for it with my veteran discount

Had my trusted machanic sway my monk into it, I think that was like $80.

Archived