LegacyGT.com

3.6R lifter tick?

2013 Legacy 3.6r, 63k

So just recently I started hearing an intermittent tick, which isn't the normal fuel injector noise that I'm used to.

Power train warranty just expired :-(

It's definitely a once per Revolution sound, like a lifter tick.

So far it's almost exclusively when the car is warming up, and disappears shortly after.

However at least once I've heard it when arriving at my destination with the engine hot. I heard it again today and drop by the dealer, but was gone by the time I got there.

The oil has never been below the add Mark as far as I know, but I got the car with 30k on it and was Subaru certified used.

I was using Mobil 1 full synthetic extended protection, and changing the oil every 7.5K or so. I just did the last change around 3k ago with supertech 5w30 from Wally's world.

I had decided I was going to change the 5K intervals.

Hoping I didn't really screw the pooch on this one.

I know this can be affected by the timing chain tensioner going out, but the dealer says that shouldn't be due for at least another 50 k.

Wondering if anybody has experienced this and if I should be freaking out as much as I am right now.

Appreciate any input or advice.

the dealer wants a few hundred bucks just to look at it.

My engine has always been rather tick-y, and I've had it for over 2 years and since 36k miles. I always thought these were just more vocal engines at idle.
Mine as well..ive had it for 90k and 4 years, i thought it was normal.

Mines also full bolt on, tuned and it never changed the sound

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Ok that makes me feel better. I know that the fuel injection system is pretty noisy and accepted that.

It just seems strange to me that I would only be hearing one lifter ticking if that was the engine's MO.

Maybe it's just the last one to get oil?

I'm not sure that I noticed it before switching to supertech so maybe I'll go back to mobile one and see if that's better.

I always get the black oil filters from the dealer so I know that's not a concern.

Must be the same personality is our old Jeep Grand Cherokee, I heard it makes noise, but makes noise forever and just keeps on making noise!

I would suggest leaving the H6 at 30wt oil, because the thicker the oil is the harder of a time it will have feeding into the chain tensioners and keeping them under pressure. And yes these engines are a bit noisy at times.

Its inherent to the style of valve actuation these motors have, its a direct mechanical connection so there is no dampening by hydraulic lifters. Different thicknesses of oil will affect the tone and volume since the oil fills the clearances differently.

Archived