LegacyGT.com

Questions about Cobb Stage 1

My Accessport will be here tomorrow, and I'll of course be hooking it up to my OBXT (2005) immediately. But before I flash any tunes, I wanted to ask a couple of questions.

First of all, I discovered a few weeks ago while installing headers and an up-pipe that I'm missing one of my downpipe cats. The entire turbo-back is stock, but the first downpipe cat is missing. The second one is still in place, and I have the stock catback. The only two previous owners were older women, so I would imagine it was beginning to get clogged at some point and a well-meaning mechanic poked it out. I haven't driven my car hard since I bought it, and especially not after I discovered the missing cat. The only issue I've had as a result has been a P0420 for emissions. I know overboost and boost creep are very real possibilities, and I've been looking for a used downpipe. But until I find one, I've been wondering, just how possible is dangerous amounts of overboost when I still have one of the downpipe cats, factory catback, and stock intake? Even while doing a few small pulls before finding the missing cat I didn't experience fuel shutoff or overboost codes. I imagine I'll get my answer when I get the AP hooked up and can monitor boost and AF ratios, but I wanted to know if anyone else has experience with a similar setup.

Secondly, given that I am missing a cat, would it be better to run my car on the stock tune until I can find a downpipe, then flash a tune. Or would I be better off to go ahead and flash the Stage 1 tune while I look for a DP? From what I've read, the Stage 1 tune is much healthier for the engine, but I didn't know if it would amplify the issues potentially created by the missing cat.

Thanks for any help, guys.

Before flashing anything, you should see what the current setup is doing to you, particularly regarding knock. If you don't mind shelling out another $70 for an OBDLink, a learning view would be really helpful.

Agreed with bdcvg, so a stage 2 tune would probably be safer. But don't mess around - pick your downpipe, get it in, and tune appropriately. If you stick with the half-gutted stocker, a custom tune is essential.

Before flashing anything, you should see what the current setup is doing to you, particularly regarding knock. If you don't mind shelling out another $70 for an OBDLink, a learning view would be really helpful.

Agreed with bdcvg, so a stage 2 tune would probably be safer. But don't mess around - pick your downpipe, get it in, and tune appropriately.

Just found a guy in my area parting out several LGTs. If I can get my hands on a downpipe, I'll be sticking it in ASAP. Whatever I do, I'll continue to stay out of boost until I have all the appropriate parts. I don't want to go Stage 2 yet.

Archived