LegacyGT.com

Oil Filter

Where do you get your oil filters from? Do you buy OEM Subaru or other?

I have a 2017 Subaru Legacy Sport 2.5i, and I couldn't find the filter type in the manual, and I can't find any specs for the oil filter online. I get a wide variety of filters when I do a search of auto parts websites and don't know which I should choose because without specs, I can't be sure.

I want to change the oil myself, but can't find what oil filter I need to use.

I only buy OEM...you can buy from your local dealer or on-line in bulk at great prices. My local dealer actually sells them to me at bulk pricing so that I can buy locally. No reason at all to but any other filter and the more expensive ones are not worth the money.

I want to change the oil myself, but can't find what oil filter I need to use.

Subaru specs an unusually high bypass valve pressure for their filters. The only two filters that are documented to meet this spec are OE Subaru and WIX (also available rebranded as NAPA). Both the OE Subaru and aftermarket WIX filters are widely available and reasonably priced.

If you're not concerned about the bypass pressure spec, just about any name-brand filter will be fine as long as you change it regularly per Subaru's published maintenance schedule.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

buy Subaru filters on eBay, they are usually sold by Subaru dealers and you can get a bulk price that way vs going to your own dealer (in my case, I hate the dealer that I bought my car from and won't return there).

2.5 Legacy filter (did a quick 2 minute search, someone correct me if this is the wrong part number:

OIL FILTER

This fits your 2017 Subaru Legacy Limited Sedan w/EyeSight 2.5L CVT 4WD

Part Number: 15208AA15A (15208AA160)

E/#089277-

https://subaruonlineparts.com/

I tend to take a print out of the online price to the dealers parts dept when I ask them to look up the price. Most places will usually take off a couple of bucks and making it only a buck or so higher than what I can find online.

Easier to deal with this locally than buying 12 filters or more to offset shipping and stocking them for 10 years...

Archived