LegacyGT.com

Brakes - what does 7 B and 6 B mean

Ok I know it is thickness but I can't remember what the numbers represent. Is 6B half way to the end of life?

The reason I ask is that the 2015 Outback we just bought just came off a three year lease. It has 36,209 on the odometer and was just inspected. The inspection report shows 7B front and 6B rear.

The sales guy said one of the benefits of a Certified Used Car is that the brakes are replaced at 50%.

So am I at 50% ?

Ok, I found this about PA inspection. So 12/32 is new pads and therefore 6B would mean 50% wear. I wouldn't be going on this little rant if the sales guy had not said they replace at 50% and that the checklist for CPO says to check for 50%. It is check point #111 on the PDF.

Plus when I took the car for a test drive the brake pedal was mushy, like someone didn't bleed the brakes correctly. Took it back, mechanic bled the brakes and then it drove fine. If the brakes are worn way down, it could be a reason for the low pedal.

https://www.subaru.com/content/dam/subaru/downloads/pdf/cpo/152_point_inspection_CPO_Inspection_form_2014_update.pdf

"The information contained in this article are for guide line purposes only. Our 35 plus years of experience In the automotive world, have taught us there seems to an exception to every rule.

When looking over your PA Inspection invoice, you may have noticed the following under/beside the PA Inspection heading –

TIRES: LF (4) RF (5) LR (2) RR (5)

BRAKES LF (8B) RF (8B) LR (2R) RR (5R)

This is not rocket science, but can be helpful information when it is understood. All the numbers you see in parenthesis are measurements in 32nd’s of an inch. For example – the Left Front tire (LF) is 4/32 inch of tread depth, measured at the least depth on the tire. To give you a perspective of what is remaining, new tires have a least 12/32″ tread depth. Having 4/32″ is not allot of tread and is not real safe on wet roads, but it does pass PA Safety Inspection Laws. Remember, this is not measured at the area of the most tread depth, but the least. Knowing the tread depth on your tires will help you plan replacement.

Moving on to the brake measurements. Again the measurements are in 32nd’s of and inch, but you notice a B or R beside the depth measurement. The B represents ( Bonded ) lining and the R represents ( Riveted ) brake lining. This is telling us how the brake lining is fastened to the brake backing plate. Why does this matter? Riveted lining has a minimum measurement of 1/32″ of lining remaining and bonded lining is rejected below 2/32″ . Note, it does not matter what is remaining on the rest of the brake pad/shoe, it is the minimum that matters. For comparison; new disc brake pads normally have approximately 12/32″ lining in bonded or riveted lining, while drum brakes have approximately 4 or 5/32″ in bonded or riveted lining. Knowing what is remaining on your brakes, will help you gauge when the brakes should be inspected, so as not to score the brake rotor or drums."

?? B??

They usually tell me mine in millimeters.

I usually replace mine at 3 or 4mm.

I think new ones average 12mm

Speaking of stupid regulations that states have, here is one I should never have known about! If you are going to be driving while the pads are down to 1/32 of an inch (thats less than a millimeter) and not know its been time to replace a few months ago, you shouldn't even be driving.

I have known some people who will ask me about the grinding noise on their cars. Obvious to me is that they ran the metal into the rotors but apparently it is not obvious to some people. :)

Speaking of stupid regulations that states have, here is one I should never have known about! If you are going to be driving while the pads are down to 1/32 of an inch (thats less than a millimeter) and not know its been time to replace a few months ago, you shouldn't even be driving.

Archived