LegacyGT.com

Sedan to wagon transmission/rear diff interchangeability?

My car is a 2005 Outback XT 5EAT. I know for a fact that trans is bad and I suspect my rear diff is also smoked from the previous owner's abuse. My question is, will a Legacy GT sedan 5EAT trans and matching rear diff play nicely with wagon? Would I have to also change the trans computer or will it drop in and go? Reason I'm considering this is I found a trans and diff out of a sedan for about 100.00 less than what I've found a wagon trans

Top of the tranny forum has a sticky with gear ratios

I think Outback s are different

I understand that the ratios are different. What I asked is will the transmission work in the car (will the sedan trans play nicely with the wagon trans computer, are the axles different, is the starter in a different location, or is there any other pertinent information I should know about)? As I said I will be taking the trans AND diff out of the sedan and putting it in the wagon. I'm truly hoping that someone on this forum has done the exact swap and can shed some light for me.

Sedan/wagon parts are identical. Legacy GT/Outback Xt parts are NOT.

You can't swap the sedan transmission out rear diff into your outback at all*. You cant swap a Legacy GT wagon transmission ether. You need to find an '05 Outback 5EAT (not '06, not '07, exactly a '05), and a '05-'07 Outback 5EAT rear diff. Not a MT rear diff, not a 4EAT, a 5EAT. It can be a sedan outback (yes they made those), but it cant be a Legacy.

*Unless you want to swap every computer in the car and flash a sedan tune on the ECU. But that'll cost more than finding the correct parts.

You can't swap the sedan transmission out rear diff into your outback at all*. You cant swap a Legacy GT wagon transmission ether. You need to find an '05 Outback 5EAT (not '06, not '07, exactly a '05), and a '05-'07 Outback 5EAT rear diff. Not a MT rear diff, not a 4EAT, a 5EAT. It can be a sedan outback (yes they made those), but it cant be a Legacy.

*Unless you want to swap every computer in the car and flash a sedan tune on the ECU. But that'll cost more than finding the correct parts.

This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much for the info!

• 4 weeks later...

What led you to make this conclusion? That was bad information because I did this yesterday and it worked absolutely fine. The 05 Legacy GT 3.27 ratio transmission and rear diff works completely fine with the 05 Outback XT electronics.

To update this thread for anyone that has the same question, yes you can do this as long as both donor cars are 05 and NO you do NOT have to change anything electronically. That includes the tune, I changed literally nothing except the trans and the rear diff. It is literally a plug and play replacement.

Archived