LegacyGT.com

engine cuts out

every now and again when driving 40 to 60 mph

the engine will cut out momentarily and then start pulling again normaly

it makes you start looking for a place to get off the road and so far it has alway started working again normally for a time and then do it again

any ideas to correct this problem

Kyle

Wiring. Start with the positive and negative battery connections. Then engine grounds. Then the engine harness connectors on the right side where the engine and transmission join. You want there to be nice clean metal for the connections. No light bluegreen powder. No dark color metal.

Now after cleaning the connections the starter wont even run

I had my wife hold the key in the start position and then I wiggled all the connections to see which one was connecting to the starter and even while wiggling all the connections the starter will not even click

I checked the fuses in the box under the hood and they all seem to be ok and as I write this I just thought maybe there is more fuses under the dash and will go and look later

Kyle

Ok I got the battery post all cleaned up

about the 3 big connectors I can not get the top one to come apart its in such a nice place to work on some how it is different then the other 2

also what about the 2 big concetons down at the transmission?

Solenoid is on the starter itself. There's a wire that comes out of the harness that goes directly to the solenoid and is a little flimsy and fragile bastard. Its a little black connector on the back of the solenoid that is easily broken.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/subyrs1/Subaru%20RS/STEP5.jpg

In this photo it is the connector circled in blue.

Archived