LegacyGT.com

Exhaust upgrade question

I recently picked up a very good condition stock WRX catback exhaust for $20, I figured why not. Does anybody know if the stock 02 WRX catback would bolt onto stock ej22 cats? I know the diameter of the WRX exhaust is 2.25, any help would be much appreciated.

Or would you guys just recommend getting headers and new cats, I’m not really looking for much of a power gain, I know it will probably never be fast, just looking for some rumble.

If it's an early ej22 then the exhaust pipe is 1.75in so the 2.25 won't really fit. Pretty much all subarus have the spring bolt+doughnut gasket after the cats but the bolt holes probably won't line up. You'd have to cut the flange off the wrx exhaust and weld the wrx exhaust onto a portion of the old pipe.

If it's an early ej22 then the exhaust pipe is 1.75in so the 2.25 won't really fit. Pretty much all subarus have the spring bolt+doughnut gasket after the cats but the bolt holes probably won't line up. You'd have to cut the flange off the wrx exhaust and weld the wrx exhaust onto a portion of the old pipe.

It’s a 99 EJ22, would I have to cut and weld no matter what cats I have on? I was thinking of doing inferno fab headers, down to some type of high flow cats. But I have no idea what to do after that at this point. I can’t reslly seem to find anything on this subject for ej22’s, everyone just seems to custom make their own exhaust.

Ok well it may or may not be 1.75in or at most 2in. Either way you'll have to find and graft in a 2.25in spring bold flange which you can get from 4th gen lagacies and then weld in the wrx exhaust. Or you can do what I did which is, I stepped up to 2.25 when I had my custom cat back made and the shop cut the old pipe just past the spring bolt flange and then they slid the new pipe over the old pipe and then welded it. I wouldn't mess with the cats for the sake of finding larger inlet/outlets ones. I'm going to get the infernal fab uels and 2nd cat delete/test pipe and then leave the stock first cat and the custom cat back exhaust. You aren't pushing boost or any real power so there's really no worry with having smaller pipe bottle necks.

Archived