LegacyGT.com

Heat shield rattle on second cat fix ideas

Been dealing with this for like 1 1/2 years now keep putting bandaids on but i cant take it anymore.

Read about removing them and people say thats pretty dangerous because how hot the cat gets

I read about just removing the cat all together and apparently that sounds absolutely awful but i was thinking could i just replace it with another resonator or even one of those tube shaped mufflers? That would get rid of the rattle AND remove the heat and shitty sound problem right? Couldnt find anything about this anywhere

Drill a small hole in the shield, and put a screw in the hole until it makes contact with the cat. That'll brace the heatshield and should stop the rattle.

I've got a hose clamp around mine to keep it from making noise.

Hose clamps work fairly well on the headers and pipes, but not on the catalyst shields. That's why I ditched the whole mess and wrapped it all in header tape.

informenter-marker-1.png

• 1 month later...

Just now got notified i had comments here... wth

So ive tried the screw in it and it eventually either vibrates out or maybe winter/salt messes it up idk but it never lasts. Clamps also vibrate loose amd stop working. Ive thought about header wrap but ive read that will cause the cat to get alot hotter inside and eventually burn out also idk what the cats are made of but ive been told never to wrap anything unless its SS or ceramic coated because of rust?

I got a guy that can weld im thinking about just chopping it out all together since ill have the one on the manifold still. I just dont know if it would cause any issue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived