LegacyGT.com

'98 Legacy Outback questions, please ??

Hi Folks.

Previously my partner had the same year & model & though we're in Vermont where cars rust to bits, we got lucky enough to find another which came here from CA. & got well treated before rust could set in.

We're very happy with it but for several things:

1 - The dome light doesn't come on at all;

2 - It throws an evap code every so often;

3 - It has the central locking system & the alarm stickers - but came with no remote(s).

I'm guessing it uses the same ones as the other '98 did as it has no button near the OBD plug - and we have good remotes left over from when the other car went for parts.

They are the Alps 88036ae060 & look like the pic I found here:

http://img.ecomplatform.com/scs/images/products/115/large/subaru_new_subaru_060_keyless_remote_entry_clicker_new_201b_p2491.jpg

But, when trying to get the car into programming mode it is 100% unresponsive - leading me to think that system was disconnected or is otherwise messed up.

I tried the programming steps from the couple of different alarm types I found & none of it made any difference.

Since the alarm must also use door switches I'm guessing these may be related somehow...

In my searching I've read a bunch of stuff about fuses & different systems & I remain uncertain of how to proceed.

I will appreciate any guidance in these matters very much !!

Hi Folks.

Previously my partner had the same year & model & though we're in Vermont where cars rust to bits, we got lucky enough to find another which came here from CA. & got well treated before rust could set in.

We're very happy with it but for several things:

1 - The dome light doesn't come on at all;

2 - It throws an evap code every so often;

3 - It has the central locking system & the alarm stickers - but came with no remote(s).

I'm guessing it uses the same ones as the other '98 did as it has no button near the OBD plug - and we have good remotes left over from when the other car went for parts.

They are the Alps 88036ae060 & look like the pic I found here:

http://img.ecomplatform.com/scs/images/products/115/large/subaru_new_subaru_060_keyless_remote_entry_clicker_new_201b_p2491.jpg

But, when trying to get the car into programming mode it is 100% unresponsive - leading me to think that system was disconnected or is otherwise messed up.

I tried the programming steps from the couple of different alarm types I found & none of it made any difference.

Since the alarm must also use door switches I'm guessing these may be related somehow...

In my searching I've read a bunch of stuff about fuses & different systems & I remain uncertain of how to proceed.

I will appreciate any guidance in these matters very much !!

The evap code could be a couple of different things, from your gas cap to the amount of fuel in the system, a faulty sensor or even loose wires. I’d take the car to a competent mechanic to sort that one out.

I also have occasional dome light issues, mine doesn’t like to always come on when the doors are open. I believe mine is an issue with the contact of the bulb in the bulb holder itself, that a film of corrosion has built up over the years, leading to mine not coming on at all. Or sometimes only coming on with the switch in a sweet spot. I don’t really ever use the dome light, and leave it in the “off” position. So it’s not something that I have tackled.

As for the remotes, it is possible that it’s been removed. It’s not hard to find the brain and remove it entirely. If you do want the feature, it might be easier to install or have someone install an aftermarket unit or remote starter for that matter instead of the factory unit. But that decision is entirely yours. More info can be found in the factory service manual concerning the location of the brain for the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The dome light could be a couple things, the easiest being a fuse and at worst it's a bad sensor or switch. If I were you, I'd check all the fuses, try a couple different bulbs and then clean the contacts of the bulb holder, then if that didn't work, I'd go to the junkyard and pull a couple door jam switches and a spare dome light unit. The little black accordion plunger in the door is the switch I'd look to replace, they're easy find and cheap/free to get a hold of.

As far as programming remotes goes, they should all be the same for the 2nd gen but programming them can be really tricky, I'd definitely pay the dealer to just do it for me because it's a pita. But if that's not an option, I'd see if you can get a hold of a couple more keyfobs, if your local junkyard leaves the keys for the cars in the cars then I'd try to take a couple from cars that are within 6 months of your cars build date.

Archived