LegacyGT.com

'97 JDM Legacy Timing Belt

Hi, I'm reaching out to the group for technical advice. I'm just south of Vancouver BC, Canada in Tsawwassen. My son has a '97 JDM Legacy GT Wagon, stock with the EJ20H twin turbo engine. It has about 110,000km and is on original timing belt and components as far as I know. I would like to replace the belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump and thermostat. I was hoping to get a kit with all components. I can't find a specific kit for this car except in the UK and Australia. That is cost prohibitive! Does anyone have an itemized parts list with part numbers for this or is there a kit for another model that is interchangeable?

Your help and wisdom is much appreciated!

Mach Z (Peter)

Brighton96, Thx I was hoping that would be the case. I don't see the Impreza 2.0 until 2002 in North America though. I would just hate to order the parts, start the job and then find I have the wrong stuff! Cheers

I'd say it's an 80% chance they're the same parts, so I'd order them from a reputable source that you know wont give you a hassle if you need to return it. Knowing how subaru likes to use cross compatibilty to cut costs, I see no reason why they won't be the same parts, but you won't know until you try. I would recommend pulling the timing cover off your car now and do an inspection and then look at the timing component listing and see if the parts look the same. It'll be extra work but as long as their listing image is accurate, then you'll know if they're the same parts.

The EJ20H is nothing like the EJ205 in terms of timing belt hardware. The belt on the 205 will not fit.

You need a timing kit for an EJ25D. Buy the kit without the water pump and buy an EJ205 WRX water pump separately. The engines are identical except for the displacement. I know this because I almost bought an EJ20G (the automatic transmission variant of the EJ20H) that had a busted right side cam gear. I showed up with my EJ25D timing parts I had and it all fit it perfectly. I ended up passing on the motor because the valves were bent and the seller still wanted $700 for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys! I had success ordering the EJ25D kit as Setnev suggested. I was still uncertain about the waterpump after reading many conflicting statements on line. Some suggesting the holes don't line up etc. FWIW it does have the three outlet setup. On the advice of Vex Performance in Calgary, I refrained from changing the pump due to the low mileage and uncertainty around the correct p/n. Vex says they wouldn't change an original installation Subaru pump until the next belt change as they are extremely reliable. I just verified the condition as best as possible in situ.

Cheers, Mach Z (Peter)

Archived