LegacyGT.com

Lifter replacement

So about 3 months ago my 96 subaru started what sounds like to me a lifter tick on the driver side, I'm just gonna replace them all. Is it hard to do? I had the valve covers off to replace the gaskets about one month ago and all the valves seemed fine, springs are all in tacked and rockers felt okay when I turned the engine over to check them. Not too loose or tight. Any tips would really be helpful. Thanks.

Nope it's not difficult, maybe an hour-hour and a half of work. It's only 8 bolts to get the rocker assembly off, pull the old HLAs out and install new ones. Assuming you have HLAs. If you do, order them in advance and leave them submerged in oil for 24 hours or so, also you'll need a dental or small pick to open the check valve on the HLA so that you can fill them with fresh oil and bleed out the air in them.

They're hydraulic automatic adjusting lifters that came on some of the 2nd gen subarus. If you have the old school mechanical lifters then I'd suggest swapping/converting to HLAs since they are basically maintenance free. If you have HLAs, they are easily replaceable units that just sit in little cups on the rocker assembly and you can get OEM ones but I'm not sure what the part number is.

If they look like this then it's an HLA rocker assembly.

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t637/96Brighton/2014-03-10_13-20-53_633_zpsudk3jl8n.jpg

oh okay, ive never used that term... yeah then i got HLAs since my rocker assb. looked just like that, thank you very much for the help man. I'm going to be doing this in the next week or so when the new lifters come in.

As a word of advice, clean the rocker assemblies really well and make sure all the tiny oil gallies aren't blocked. HLAs will tick if they don't get enough oil flow and the oil gallies clog pretty easily. Also you'll have to purge the HLAs of air and like I said, soak them in clean oil and also install them right from the oil soaking container right into the rocker assembly, don't wipe the HLAs off or use any cleaners on them after they soak.

Archived