LegacyGT.com

Transmission problems?

I changed the engine oil, the front differential, and the rear differential fluid yesterday. I was going to drain and fill the transmission but i didn't have a filter so i decided to wait. My son drove the car (to another city and said there was a high pitched whining sound between second and third gear connected to his acceleration. The timing of this suggests it's related to something i did but i did bkr i can't imagine what it is. I used the correct fluids in the differentials and the correct amounts. Any thoughts?

I put 1.3 quarts of 80w90 in the front and the dipstick read full. I put .8 quarts of 75w90 in the back and filled it until it ran out of the fill hole.

The oil i drained looked relatively clean.

Both were synthetic oils meeting gl5 spec. The 80w90 is Valvoline and the 75w90 is carquest.

My son gave a slightly different story today, and the best i can determine is that it starts to whine when it gets to a certain rpm, but i won't know for sure until i get the vat back this weekend.

Automatic.

I talked to my local auto parts guys and they suggested i lau have overfilled the differential fluid, which seems like the most likely explanation. Hopefully the seals don't blow out and i can just drain some fluid with my son gets home this weekend.

Archived