LegacyGT.com

Fresh rebuild 2005 LGT P2088 code

Hey folks!

At wits end here on a fresh rebuild on a 2005 LGT. New pistons, wrist pins, rings, bearings, etc. and ~180 miles into breakin. Starts right up but runs rough/stalls when dropping out of gear (5MT), and hesitates under even moderate load. Sounds like a diesel, and code P2088 keeps coming up. The "tocking" sounds like it is emanating everywhere on top of the block, under the intake. It is only noticeable when idling or under acceleration- quiet when in-gear deceleration.

So, I did my homework and read every thread I could find (thanks to all of you!) and did the following:

1) Checked timing- good

2) Replaced camshaft position sensor- no change

3) Changed OCV valve with known good one- no change

4) Swapped intake cam with known good one- no change

5) Had cylinders scoped, checked valve clearances (slightly tight on two exhaust valves) and entire engine block "stethoscoped". Only weirdness was obvious noisy cam on cylinder #1. Cam slightly under spec diameter.

6) Swapped entire head and cams, moved good components- no change

7) Swapped fuel injectors (why not?-sounds like combustion error)- no change.

So now it seems after many hours of the above troubleshooting that it is either electrical or low oil pressure. Is there a way to check oil pressure? There is plenty of oil in the turbo/AVCS lines when I open them, but have not opened the lines when engine is running. BTW- the car is completely stock, and banjo filter removed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!! Swapping the oil pump would be so much easier than pulling the motor again to redo shortblock... But it seems the error is not in the rebuild but the function...

I have never done any electrical diagnosis but am willing to try. I noted one thread here that had a loose connection at ECU. Incidentally, my normal code reader will not work on this car- but does on all my other cars including 2005 LGT... I checked pins at OBD plug and all looks good.

P2088 OCV Solenoid Valve Signal A Circuit Open (Bank 1)

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Whats the service manual say about that code ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thank you for the links and suggestions!

Ok- so found poor connection at OCV plug. Cleared code but haven't driven it yet but it runs smooth at least!

However, the "diesel" noise is still present, and only under load. So seems to piston/rod/crank related.

Seems like a shortblock investigation is soon to be coming my way, sadly. On the bright side I can now pull the motor solo in just a tad over an hour...

Glad that was an easy fix. Yea the next one may be a more work. Make a plan so you have a goal.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...

Quick update...

Diesel noise got worse and I pulled the motor at 200 miles. Turns out the "standard" rod bearings were undersized. Micrometer of crank and rod were within standard range.

Never assume. Lesson learned.

Pulled the good rebuilt motor out of my OBXT, installed it, and sold it later that day.

Archived