LegacyGT.com

Had a small fire trying to figure out the cause

34f814cdd2cb780f5d27897f16b36e0d.jpg

So driving home today from picking my car up from the shop for having the axel seals done under warranty, going about 85 or so and car starts smoking and dies out, open hood and see this fire coming from the exhaust, oil was all over the engine bay and leaking onto the road, I’m wondering what could have caused this, my guess is oil line but I’m not too sure, had it towed back to the shop for it to be handled hopefully under warranty. Any input would help thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...
I also think that is oil filter loose. If the oil filter is screwed on crooked or not tight enough, the amount of pressure from the engine could cause oil to leak out of the top of the filter. An oil filter that is too small can cause the threads or the seal on the oil filter to be loose when screwing the filter into the engine. However, I don't think it could cause a fire, no matter how small. I work at https://firerecruitmentaustralia.com.au, and from all the experience I have, most of the time, car fires are caused by a leaky fuel system. Edited by MGRay

I also think that is oil filter loose. If the oil filter is screwed on crooked or not tight enough, the amount of pressure from the engine could cause oil to leak out of the top of the filter. An oil filter that is too small can cause the threads or the seal on the oil filter to be loose when screwing the filter into the engine.

Four years too late bud!

Haha!

Has anyone in history actually managed to cross thread an oil filter on to the point where it’s crooked

NEVER underestimate the power and determination of stupid. That is something that has never ceased to amaze me.