LegacyGT.com

2000 Subaru Outback Timing belt broke

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to this forum and DIY mechanic work in general and was hoping that some of you more experienced members could help me out.

Issue:

Timing belt broke while on I5. I tore into it and got overwhelmed and left it alone. I don't want to sell it, but can't afford to have a shop do the work, so that leaves self repair. I know that the valves are almost guaranteed bent according to everyone due to it being an interference engine, but is there a way to know for sure? Will a leakdown test work and if so, how do i properly check this especially considering that I don't know if the cylinders are on their exhaust, compression, intake or combustion stroke?

Once this is known, a guy told me that he has a free pair of heads near me that would need to be resurfaced, but i could have them. Is this worth it or should i just fix up mine with new valves and a machining? He said the car they were on had a slight knock, but that the valves are probably still good. Any input on this?

With all that said, how do I re-time the engine. With the timing belt snapping on the freeway, I don't know if tdc is truly top dead center if the crank and camshafts are one rotation off of each other.

Like I said, I'm trying to do this and i am far from an expert and could use the help. If you have advice or anything, please let me know.

I am all ears!

Welcome to the forum.

In the Gen Chat forum, http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wants-see-my-vacation-pixi-6216.html

You can find the service manual there. That will have timing set up.

I would take those free heads....because they are free. You might need them.

At this point, the car is 18 years old...You might want to cut your losses...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived