LegacyGT.com

Are 5x114.3 hubs out of the question?

IwannaSportSedan

I have searched on this topic, and not found much of anything aside from wishful thinking... I figure I would post it here, because it would affect wheel choice more than anything, although it might technically be considered suspension.

Does anyone know how possible it would be to put 5x114.3 PCD hubs on the Legacy?

Sources could include, the 05-06 WRX STi, the Tribeca, or even the SVX.

Is anyone familiar enough with the suspension uprights, wheel bearings, half-shafts, and hubs on Subarus that would be able to comment on part interchangeability?

I'd be willing to save up for STI brembo disks and calipers to fit the hubs, and it would open up the wheel choice to a lot of BBS, Enkei, Volk, PIAA, and other premium and forged wheels that are available in appropriate offset/width combinations, but not in the rarer 5x100 bolt pattern.

How nice would it be if there were a list of parts to procure from other Subarus, via the parts counter, or the salvage yards, and come away with a workable solution to fit better wheels AND better brakes.

How much nicer would it be for Subaru to standardize their line in the next model year with 5x114.3 PCD hubs across the line, for the Legacy/OB/Tribeca, as well as the Impreza/Forester. With the Impreza going to a modified Legacy chassis, and the resultant WRX STI, as well as the Tribeca that both use the wider pattern, it would make sense to go line-wide with them. It would likely save them money from their supplier not having to specially cast 5x100 rims just for Subaru and maybe a smattering otherwise, and would give the Subaru customers more options for aftermarket wheels, brake disks, etc.

I don't know about the Legacy, but it was determined that it would be a pricey switch on the STi. Plus, out of the 3 Subarus I've owned (and soon to be 4), I've never had a problem finding wheels that I liked in the 5x100 bolt pattern - Speedline GT1, Prodrive PFF7, Rota SDR, Rota Tarmac II, BBS RE, JDM V7 STi... icon_smile.gif

I can't comment on brake rotor/kit upgrades, as better pads, ss lines, and Motul RBF600 have always been more than enough for my driving.

-Mike-

it's a pricey change.. all the drive shafts are different.. it's also a pain in the butt to swap out the rears too since we use a drum/disc brake kit.. you would need all the parts from an STi.. the hard part is mating the driveshaft of an R180 (STi) vs. our cars (R160) into the tranny.. (since it's that female/male input shaft linkage issue) I believe.
Keefe

Not to mention making sure the ABS sensors work correctly.

My roommate is actually wanting to do the oposite, by putting a 5x100 conversion onto his SVX so it can share wheels with his WRX. All parts are left over from swapping a 6spd into his WRX, and He's only short the front knucles right now. It'll definitely be a lot of work, but I think the only thing he's really worried about is the ABS sensors.

Not to mention making sure the ABS sensors work correctly.

My roommate is actually wanting to do the oposite, by putting a 5x100 conversion onto his SVX so it can share wheels with his WRX. All parts are left over from swapping a 6spd into his WRX, and He's only short the front knucles right now. It'll definitely be a lot of work, but I think the only thing he's really worried about is the ABS sensors.

that's the least of your problems with the ABS.

Keefe

For sure. There are still lots of little pieces to figure out. It'll be a fun project.

As for Impreza to Impreza, I personally think its doable, but quite expensive. I'm sure for the money you'd spend on doing the swap, you could just get some custom wheels made in the 5x100 pattern and call it a day.

Do the wheel hubs not come apart from the Outboard CV joints in the axles? I guess I figured they would be separate parts...

I had a feeling it would be more than a hub/wheel bearing/brake system swap.

If the STi axles are a different length, and have a different coupling to the rear end, then perhaps someone could fabricate a set of hybrid axles. STi on the outer end, LGT/WRX on the inner end, and the proper length for the LGT... Who knows...

(bit of a pipe dream... I guess...)

Maybe I should look for an STI shell with the whole driveline intact, from the clutch to the lug nuts... Drop the whole schmear into a Legacy, with custom length shafts, taller final drive from 3.0R Spec B, and helical front and rear diffs, like the S203...

Mostly, I was wondering because there are some choice rims, like the BBS RS-GT, AME Tracer Spec M, PIAA Sport Mesh Forged, various Volks, and others that come in 8"-9" widths with proper high offsets, but are 5x114.3, and to go to the Brembo brake setup would be an added bonus...

Maybe it isn't feasible, but I thought with those other three Subarus, especially the Tribeca, which is outback based altough wider, might have some part swap opportunities without re-engineering the car with aftermarket parts.

A $1.10 net change for Subaru to change the bolt circle of the hubs, brake disks, and changing the OE wheels over, would end up being a 5k+

drivetrain swap after the fact. Crazy.

I am gonna take a stab at the reason you want 5x114.3, base on your first post...

1) wheel choice

a) new

b) used

2) STi Brembo setup

1a) Due to our offset, there isn't much commonality with other 5x114.3 equiped cars, except NSX, S2000, may be ITR (barely). Almost all other cars with 5x114.3 use lower offset wheels than we can "reasonably" fit in our wheel well. So in terms of choices, our offset render PCD 100 vs 114.3 a moot point. When buying new wheels from a Japanese manufacturer, you can often customize the spec on the wheels. In fact, company like Work wheels are made to order to your specification with no extra cost. Volk is pretty much the same, as long as they list it in the catelog, it is the same price no matter what the PCD is. What I have found is that up to 18 inch wheel size, most Japanese manufacturer offer both bolt pattern, it is only when you move up to 19 and above that makes it hard to find 5x100 size.

1b) hmm...indeed...you can find some smoking deal in 5x114.3. But in our offset? They come as often as 5x100 in the used market. My Jetta swallows wider wheels and lower offset in 5x100 than my subaru can ever dream without modifying the fender, a car like that could benefit with a more popular bolt pattern, only because it has a popular offset.

2) I am not sure about US company, but big wheel manufacturer usually have a few "disk" variations on the same design. While retaining the same design "look", each "disk" variation has a diff spec to accomodate different caliper sizes. Caliper fitment is mainly a function of disk design, more so than offset. For example, given the EXACT offset, a R-disk in Work wheels will clear any big caliper, but it would have less lip than a O-disk of the same design. They accomodate the caliper either via spokes design that clings to outer edge of the rim (thus clearing away from the caliper), or by building a thicker mounting pad in the back of the wheel to space the spokes away from the caliper. All said and done, just moving to 5x114.3 is not going to make it any easier to clear those STi Brembos. They are pretty thick, and would give most wheels trouble in clearing. Here is a +38 offset A-disk wheel for example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/oister/subaru/297325cc.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/oister/subaru/CIMG0003.jpg

Notice in the second picture that the wheel mounting pad still cannot make contact with the rotor, even though the spoke is already touching the caliper. A R-disk wheel will clear with no problem.

What I am trying to say is, to have more choices in wheels, given our offset, AND clearing STi Brembo, will be tough order for both 100 or 114.3 PCD. The main limiting factor is our offset requirement.

If you are going to buy new wheels, PCD is usually not too much of a problem as I outlined above. If you are going to buy used wheels, either PCD would be tough, so its sort of a moot point.

it's way better to just find the wheels you really want.. most of the better wheel companies can satisfy the PCD, (dual drilled if need be).. and if you are going through all that trouble JUST to have a 5x114.3 hub, I am sure you could have spent all that money on a set of BLING wheels like Work Super wheels or Fikse for that matter..

$2800 to $4000 on a set of FULLY custom rims at 5x100

or....

$1200~ on used STi Brembos (lines, pads, rotors and calipers and brackets) + $x amount on the driveshafts + $x on the hubs + $x on whatever else you need for the rears to fit, + $600 ~ 1200 on the wheels alone that wish to have (that's already looking over $2500 for "medicore" rims at 5x114.3.. [iMO, STi Brembos aren't that worth it because you'll have to find rims that clear the calipers as stated above which will limit you again on fitment].. Unless you are tracking the car, you dont need more clamping force. Your brake pads will glaze before that happens. The GT stock brakes are plenty big as they are.. if you got the money for all of it, just get every possible 2005 STi AFTER MARKET big brake pieces you can find and bolt it up to the car (which will allow you to have 5x114.3 AND some really BIG brakes to fill up the rim).

I would spend the money on the rims alone because it will be easier to just go back to stock later when the winter comes..

What wheels were you specifically looking at that you MUST have????

Keefe

Archived