LegacyGT.com

Help. Registering lots of knock events

Car is 2006 LGT wagon

I recently started to use BTSSM app to monitor whats happening in the engine. One thing i have noticed is lots of knock events whenever am driving , even at low RPM conditions. I tried to check the engine for boost/vaccum leaks using a home made device that i connected at the intake duct and pressurised the system to around 5psi but i wasn't able to tell exactly where it was leaking from as it could only hold the pressure for a few seconds before letting it off. ( i want to imagine this is normal)

below are some of the knock events

KNOCK DETECTED at 2018-05-14 09:57:22 AM

AFR: 14.7

AFR (lambda): 1.00

Battery (V): 14.0

Boost (psi): 0.10

Boost Target (psi): -0.9

Boost Target (bar): -0.06

Closed loop: 1

Coolant (degC): 85

FKC (deg): -1.41

FLKC (deg): 0.00

IAM: 1.000

Injector PW (ms): 4.4

Intake (degC): 28

Load (g/rev): 0.69

MAF (g/s): 19.07

RPM: 1670

Speed (kmh): 29.0

TGV left (V): 0.82

TGV right (V): 0.82

Throttle plate (%): 20.8

Timing (deg): 26.0

Turbo WGDC (%): 0.0

Turbo WGP (%): 0.0

KNOCK DETECTED at 2018-05-14 09:57:11 AM

AFR: 14.5

AFR (lambda): 0.98

Battery (V): 13.8

Boost (psi): 0.00

Boost Target (psi): -0.3

Boost Target (bar): -0.02

Coolant (degC): 87

Injector PW (ms): 4.6

Intake (degC): 27

Load (g/rev): 0.69

MAF (g/s): 18.91

RPM: 1635

Speed (kmh): 14.0

Throttle plate (%): 21.2

Timing (deg): 25.0

KNOCK DETECTED at 2018-05-14 09:56:51 AM

AFR: 14.8

AFR (lambda): 1.01

Battery (V): 14.1

Boost (psi): -0.70

Boost Target (psi): -1.7

Boost Target (bar): -0.12

Coolant (degC): 90

Injector PW (ms): 4.1

Intake (degC): 27

Load (g/rev): 0.60

MAF (g/s): 18.08

RPM: 1802

Speed (kmh): 14.0

Throttle plate (%): 18.0

Timing (deg): 28.5

Ave also attached a screenshot of the LV. I'd appreciate if i could be pointed the right way towards solving my situation

BtSsm_LV_20180514_0959.png.f57ec82d9d2a6c45d516a37b1db5440d.png

Looks good to me. Change the knock alert threshold for FKC/FLKC to -3 or even -4.

Or even disable the knock alerts all together.

Just monitor and log FKC, FLKC, IAM, FF Base, Boost, Load, etc.

Knock strategy reactions are meaningless without context and in your case

the context point to benign... low load, low RPM, out of or low boost, low throttle angle

likely higher gear.

Read here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/everything-you-wanted-know-subarus-knock-prevention-strategy-254139.html

Based on the LV scalings, looks like you are running a tune.

You're probably seeing false knock. If it were real knock, you'd be seeing more pulls on the timing grid.

However, you are running rich at idle, which is unusual. I would start by cleaning the MAF sensor and running a couple tanks of BG 44K through it. Does the car hesitate to start in the morning if you turn the key straight to start without pausing at On?

Make sure your air filter is clean and OEM.

After that, you may be looking at a bad upper O2 sensor or MAF sensor.

If you want to make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, get a $65 vacuum machine off eBay and plug it into your inlet adapter.

Looks good to me. Change the knock alert threshold for FKC/FLKC to -3 or even -4.

Or even disable the knock alerts all together.

Just monitor and log FKC, FLKC, IAM, FF Base, Boost, Load, etc.

Knock strategy reactions are meaningless without context and in your case

the context point to benign... low load, low RPM, out of or low boost, low throttle angle

likely higher gear.

Read here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/everything-you-wanted-know-subarus-knock-prevention-strategy-254139.html

Based on the LV scalings, looks like you are running a tune.

Quite relieved to hear this. and thanks for the link on the knock prevention strategy. Previous owner indicated to me he had had it tuned , you just confirmed this. Would running on a stock map give me less knock events ?

You're probably seeing false knock. If it were real knock, you'd be seeing more pulls on the timing grid.

However, you are running rich at idle, which is unusual. I would start by cleaning the MAF sensor and running a couple tanks of BG 44K through it. Does the car hesitate to start in the morning if you turn the key straight to start without pausing at On?

Make sure your air filter is clean and OEM.

After that, you may be looking at a bad upper O2 sensor or MAF sensor.

If you want to make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, get a $65 vacuum machine off eBay and plug it into your inlet adapter.

I did clean the Maf over the weekend before checking again and the knocks persisted. Actually, i'd replaced the MAF couple of months back ,so am certain its not the cause. exchanging with the previous one doesn't result in better or worse situation. Car starts up fine and runs in the morning without a hitch. Filter is OEM and recently replaced. As you've suggested, will definitely run the fuel system cleaner and compare results. Also the front 02 sensor has never been replaced (car is high mileage 250k kms plus), might try changing that if all other measures don't bear fruit. Am also certain of the rich conditions since the fuel mileage isn't that good

• 8 months later...

I am also registering a lot of knock events, maybe once every five minutes. I am not sure how to read the timing correction table but have attached a screenshot.

It is possible the throttle body hose needs reseating all the way to the snorkel; will do that tomorrow. It is noted somewhere that maf sensor could also use cleaning so i will do this as well.

Can someone take a look at my table here and comment if there are abnormalities? omg thanks

Screenshot_20190203-181539.thumb.png.10ec16a47dac35cb523d6fb322cc9eda.png

Why TF is your LV snapshot showing bank 2? I would PM heiche about that.

The trims and timing pulls do indicate something's up, and a boost leak is a possibility. I think you may be on the right track with the throttle body hose, though I'm not sure what you mean about the snorkel. A smoke test would be a good next step.

Maybe 2008 Legacy 3.0R has two banks im not the slightest bit sure; thanks for taking a look.

Anyway i reseated the air box and the air hose clamps; didn't yet clean the maf or iaf (what/where is iaf???) or oxygen sensors (necesary?), but this is an updated timing table. It should be noted i reset the ecu memory two days ago , soi have a copy of this table where all the values were zeroes just the day before yesterday, and so these are all learned values in the past couple days.

FWIW I also reset the TCU memory at the time and posted to a thread in transimssions section. Im not sure, but clearing the ecu memory seems to have improved fuel economy

BtSsm_LV_20190204_1850.png.5a856922285b4abfeef401c45e2f9f42.png

Archived