LegacyGT.com

Brake lights won't shut off

We got home tonight after driving the GT sedan up to visit my parents. When we arrived home, I shut it off, but the brake lights were still shining bright, with no foot on the brake (no change when you do depress the brake pedal).

I also noticed that the third brake light is out (not sure if the bulbs burned out previously or if that's another issue).

I did the obvious check of the switch on the steering column to no avail (it's brake lights vs. taillights anyway). I pulled the battery cable until I can dig into it tomorrow. The obvious thing to me would be the brake light switch is shorting out- has anyone else encountered this and had any other causes of it?

I checked it out in the light of day this morning. I found the plastic grommet that snaps into a hole in the bracket pedal arm and contacts the brake light switch had disintegrated into a few small pieces found on the driver's side floor mat ([probably while driving home last night) and now the switch wasn't being pushed in, since it was contacting the hole,, so the circuit remained closed. I found a plastic screw that fit into the hole and all is working correctly again.

Archived