LegacyGT.com

2009 Spec B OEM Coil Springs - Replace with new?

Mantis97

I've got a 2009 Spec B - stock setup - with 192k km on it. The Bilsteins are shot so plan on replacing them with new B6's on all 4 corners.

It's a daily driver and I want to maintain the OEM ride height/ comfort mainly for winter driving and potholed spring roads. A plan I'm considering is to use new everything (mounts, spring seats, etc.) so I can pre-assemble. I've never done it before so figure that could be a reasonable "staged" approach so I'm not swearing at spring compressors at 3:00AM on a work night.

Question: should I replace the OEM springs along with everything else, or should they be OK? I read many different opinions on the inter-web, some say yes, some no. Any experience from folks who have done the same?

The rear of the car definitely looks half an inch lower from new (maybe) but I also hear the rear spring seat can compress over time.

Thanks

I'm looking for some used struts if you're interested in selling.....

If you're already removing and installing the shocks and replacing all the hardware etc, wouldn't it make sense to just replace the springs too? Would make it a straight swap (saving LOADS of time) and with everything else being new it seems logical to go all new.

Thanks guys, sounds like it does makes sense to get the springs for ride height and ease of the swap. I'll need a lot of head scratch time likely!

GearJamr - you can PM me about the struts, don't have a timeline for swap yet.

Honestly I don't really feel spending the extra money on new OEM springs would be worth it. They should be alright to reuse and I would only spend money if you were upgrading them. Dealing with spring compressors isn't too bad and suspension swaps are relatively straight forward. Seeing how you're in Edmonton, I wouldn't mind giving you a hand if you're doing it on a weekend as I'm there most of the time on weekends and I have a pair of spring compressors you could use too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived