LegacyGT.com

Rear Sway Bar Creaking

I installed a Whiteline 24mm rear sway bar and Moog end links on my '13 3.6. I put the bar on the middle setting. As usual the bar started making a creaking noise like an old door hinge. The creaking is not exclusive to Subaru vehicles but to the Whiteline bar itself no matter what vehicle its installed on. I researched and this seems to be a common problem. I have read about only temporary fixes by greasing the bushings with a marine grease and after a few months the grease washes out and starts creaking again.

Has anyone found any higher quality urethane bushings to replace the Whiteline bushings? Or has anyone used a better grease that wont wash away so fast?

There was a vedor here making different hardnesses of stock style bushings. If I can find it the thread I will post it. One of the other 3.6 5th gen owners has installed them I cant recall which one, I know they have a build thread though.

It's creaking because the sway bar rotates inside urethane bushings, whereas rubber bushings stick to the sway bar and flex. I'm not familiar with the bushing that come with that Whiteline RSB, are they greaseable? If not, someone (Prothane, I think?) makes bushings and matching straps with grease zerks on them- throw a pair of those on there, and hit 'em with a grease gun periodically. Assuming you got the greaseable Moog end links, you can grease them at the same time.

Energy suspension makes them but I don't know if they have a direct fitment for this application or the wrx/sti.

I know they had a set that fit our tribecas front sway bar, installed them and never had another issue with it.

I was watching Chris (CKE) in the process of making these bushings. It was a bit of fun trying to get the process right so there wasn't any pitting in the molds. If you guys ever want anything custom, let me know and I'll see if he's up for the challenge. I still have these waiting in my garage. Maybe Tuesday I'll get them on...well maybe not. I've got furniture all over the garage :spin: soon.

Archived