LegacyGT.com

P0245-->bad WG diaphragm-->$2000? Advice please

I have a P0245, took it into a very reputable local Subaru shop (oem service, not performance). They found a bad wastegate diaphragm and said it may or may not have been caused by my aftermarket (Perrin) EBCS but they "didn't know what its parameters were."

$2,000 to put in a new turbo assembly they say.

I don't have $2,000 but I do have a VF52 that Mike at Tuning Alliance rebuilt for me a year or so ago.

So, my questions are as follows:

1. Is the wastegate really that intertwined with the turbo that it's not a removable part?
  2. (if yes) So I need to replace the turbo?
  3. Is it possible that the 3port perrin EBCS caused the failure of the wastegate diaphragm? Is it possible that I messed it up? It has run fine for a while.
  4. Should I be worried about this crack in the turbo? Because I am. Mike at TA wouldn't have sent it and charged me if he thought it was a problem though, right?

IMG_6022.thumb.JPG.c570c647384735c23516655885cdcb4a.JPG

The diaphragm is part of the actuator, which is totally separate, and separately replaceable.

The EBCS did not mess up your actuator.

The "reputable" shop is totally full of doo-doo.

The crack is fine. Correct, TA would not do you wrong.

I’d find someone that has a blown VF40/46 and cannibalize the wastegate actuator off it, if installing the VF52 and getting a tune isn’t in the budget right now.

I’d find someone that has a blown VF40/46 and cannibalize the wastegate actuator off it, if installing the VF52 and getting a tune isn’t in the budget right now.

Or you could buy a brand new actuator - $75 for Kinugawa, $30 for Chinese.

I have a brand new OEM wastegate actuator. I've been saving it for myself to use someday in the future, but more than likely, if that part breaks, I'll just use it as an excuse to go to a Dom 1.5 XTR. PM me if you want it.

The wastegate actuator is mounted on the outside of the turbo. It controls the flapper inside the turbo (the upper part of your picture) by pushing and pulling on the arm that the bar connects to on top of the turbo. You don't even need to remove the turbo to replace the turbo.

As for your questions:

1) It's replaceable

2) You don't need to replace the turbo.

3) EBCS wouldn't break the wastegate actuator.

4) The crack in the turbo is common. It would only be a problem if the crack went all the way through to the outside to actually leak boost. That's not going to happen.

• 4 weeks later...

It was the EBCS. Thanks for your help.

I trust a long time Subaru focused shop with a good reputation more than I trust my own parking lot wrenching abilities. I also second guess myself sometimes though. The shop was right about the behavior/symptom relating to the wastegate but what I didn't realize is that they neglected to bother testing the EBCS because it was aftermarket and they didn't know what the "parameters were."

So then I:

• I swapped out the wastegate actuator with one Infosecdad was able to sell me cheaply and conveniently.
  • Removed and thoroughly checked the few vacuum lines connected to the wg, turbo, and short line back to inlet.
  • Checked voltage at the 2-prong connector that connects to the EBCS. Nearly 14 Volts there (13.95 or so).

So if everything is fine before and after the EBCS... Yup.

How was it the EBCS? The EBCS broke and couldn't control the wastegate anymore?

Yup. I think I recall reading a warning on a piece of paper cautioning against letting it get wet and I'm pretty sure water got in there a number of times. I have it uncovered in the stock bcs location.

I've just been driving around at 1/4-1/2 throttle at all times locked in Sport with CEL+Cruise (my P0245). If I gave it too much throttle input it would start spooling up at what felt like an exponential rate until I would overboost and hit fuel cut off. It was a total YOLO situation. As it turned out I was able to drive around just fine staying out of boost and keeping an eye on the max psi on my AP boost gauge.

So yeah, it was effectively like the wastegate was broken but instead it was the EBCS never doing its job and the wastegate got convicted of a crime it wasn't even guilty of.

So the shop never actually found the bad wastegate diaphragm they claimed to have found (a bicycle pump and 10 seconds would have verified), and they tried to charge you $2000 to replace a $50 part that had nothing wrong with it. Very reputable. What shop?

So the shop never actually found the bad wastegate diaphragm they claimed to have found (a bicycle pump and 10 seconds would have verified), and they tried to charge you $2000 to replace a $50 part that had nothing wrong with it. Very reputable. What shop?

Yes. One of the formerly most reputable.

Convenience Auto in Ann Arbor, MI on Liberty by Stadium Blvd.

https://www.convenienceauto.com/

I'm still running the wastegate that I swapped on to test it. When nothing changed I didn't bother to put the original one back. I suppose technically it's possible that it also failed.

At some point when I get a chance I'll throw the other one back on when I put the turbo heat shield back on (took off when I was pokin' around). Then I can verify for sure the the wg also was or was not failed.

Archived