LegacyGT.com

2001 B4 RSK Rev D engine issues

Buckle up girls and boys, this is going to be a very detailed post as I try to diagnose what exactly the issue is on my B4 RSK. I've only had this car for a month now, got it from a local Kijiji ad at 108k kms. Car body's in good condition for a 17 yr old car, but the engine could do better.

Recently I have been having rough starts/idles when I start the car cold (for example in the morning before work), and CEL momentarily comes on. In this video you can see what I am talking about, although this start is already mid-day so it is not as bad.

The issue usually goes away once the car warms up after a few minutes. Cruising during the day, the car seems fine although there are rare bouts of hesitation and sudden shift downs when I let go of the gas. When the night comes and I have my HIDs, fog lights and A/C on, the rough idle intensifies and even comes back when I'm stopped for a red light (this doesnt happen when A/C, HIDs, and fog lights are off.

During cold/wet days, the belts squeal from a cold start although it usually goes away within 20 secs.

I also have a fuel leak somewhere in the engine bay: a very small puddle of gas forms under the engine, more onto the passenger's side, when I start the car in the morning The smell is noticeable if you step out of the car. However once the car warms up or if I start it on a warm midday, I do not see puddles when I pull out of my parking spot.

So, with these symptoms what do you guys think is my issue? My suspects are either bad spark plugs, bad fuel delivery at start or loose belts/bad tensioners/pulleys or a bad alternator. Thoughts? :spin::confused:

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but first thing I would do is to try to pull that code with a scanner

I've tried to read the code with an OBD-2 scanner but it could not properly read any codes. Are JDM third gens even OBD-2 compliant?

Updates: After a bit of searching through other online forums, I've found threads with similar issues with regards to my rough idle. A common problem among them is, as I suspected, the alternator. I'd like to try and replace this myself. Can I find compatible alternators here in Canada? Or do I have to order it from Japan?

Updates: replaced my alternator yesterday and all my issues with the rough engine went away. No more check engine lights.

I still have the smell of fuel in the A/C after startup though. That puddle which I thought was gas turned out to be just water/builtup moisture.

I've tried to read the code with an OBD-2 scanner but it could not properly read any codes. Are JDM third gens even OBD-2 compliant?

From what I understand, the Rev D Legacys are OBD-2.

Where did you end up sourcing an alternator? I have my Rev D wagon coming in in a couple weeks so I'm trying to gather info on what parts are compatible with USDM cars.

Where did you end up sourcing an alternator? I have my Rev D wagon coming in in a couple weeks so I'm trying to gather info on what parts are compatible with USDM cars.

I tried with my Android compatible OBD2 scanner and it would read a code for the first few minutes, after which the app hangs and stops communicating with the device.

I found an alternator through a friend working for a dealership's parts store. He hooked me up with a 90A Denso alternator. I'll get the part number for you when I get home :D

I found an alternator through a friend working for a dealership's parts store. He hooked me up with a 90A Denso alternator. I'll get the part number for you when I get home :D

It is a Denso 210-4140 Alternator. Retails for about $300, re-manufactured.

OBD-2, very probable, but OBD2 is not a requirement in Japan, so the chances of it even being a commonly supported protocol are very slim.

I'll be getting a BlueSSM from ProjectLambda within this week to get mine retuned for 94 octane. Not sure if that will work with android interfaces though.

On that note would it be safe to change my engine's fuel base map on a regular basis? For example I will flash with a 94 tune for the summer, and turn it down to 91 tune for the winter?

Archived