LegacyGT.com

Timing belt help needed?

1997 legacy wagon ej22. 260,000 miles. Installed new timing belt. Got it right on second Try? Installed new plugs, water pump, belt tensioner and semi used coil. Car started and idled good. Revved her up a few times. Sounded great. Son drove her down the road and back. Responded good. Power was good. Parked her and she was running rough. Got progressively worse until she was kind of 'loping' at idle. Car shows no codes. At this point we are lost and I don't want my son to just throw parts at it hoping for a fix. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

congrats on a running great ej221

what kit brand did you get? (choice would be OEM parts or a Aisin kit = made in japan,...not chinese junk in a good named box).

seems like you jumped a tooth, and should open it up and spin the belt by hand checking.

Thank you for your response Eagleeye. Everyone keeps saying it jumped but, it is hard to believe it could do that with that much tension. I told my son to check that first before spending any money on her. I don't know the kit he bought. Wasn't cheap. Don't think it was Chinese. I tell him to steer clear of that stuff. Have a great day

Double check timing first. Also did you put NGK spark plugs in? If those things are good, Maybe try your old coil again just for kicks and see if that fixes the problem. (You didn't say what was wrong with it). Good luck! :)

• 5 months later...

Archived